Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

Do I have it or not?

RDunn5
Novice

I have a Dell Inspiron 15-7000 series 7586 2 in 1. Core i5 8265U, 24gb memory(1x8 + 1x16), 256gb PCIe NVMe + 2tb HDD. I wasn't aware or even looking for Optane system. I was playing around with some of the software and settings and I came across Rapid Storage Technology and on the Optane tab there's a message; Status: disabled. Your system appears to be Optane ready but no memory modules were detected in your computer. Please install a compatible module. Visit intel...... for more information. Enable <this is grayed out. I googled Intel Optane as I was unaware of what it was. I checked the link in the message and was advised to contact Dell fmi, which I did but didn't get very far with them. My warranty is expired and their community help pages haven't led me to any concrete information. I'd like to know #1. Is it there or do I need to purchase hardware, if it is even worth it because my OS drive is a fast ssd already, and if so, is it possible to use it for the HDD storage drive D:? Any info on this is much appreciated, I'm new to this technology and am having a hard time finding knowledgeable info. Thank you for any response

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, Intel Optane Memory Modules are NVMe cards, like your SSD. If your system has two M.2 Type M slots, you could put an Optane Memory Module in the second slot and use it to accelerate the performance of your HDD. If your system has only one M.2 Type M slot, however, to accelerate the performance of your HDD, (a) you would have to give up your existing NVMe SSD, (b) you would be booting and running from the accelerated HDD and (c) the Optane Memory Module, once enabled, would not be visible anywhere but in the RST/Optane app. (i.e. the Optane Memory Module and the HDD would appear to be one single drive).

I could find no indication that your laptop has two M.2 Type M slots. I therefore conclude,

1. No, you do not have a n M10 Optane Memory Module and no, you do not have a H10 Optane Memory SSD.
  2. You would need to purchase a M10 Optane Memory Module and forgo your NVMe SSD.
  3. You chose to have a NVMe SSD and a SATA HDD instead - which is, IMHO, the better choice! Many SSDs available in the market easily outperform the Optane Memory Modules).
  4. Yes, you could use one to accelerate the HDD, but only by giving up the NVMe SSD (unless there is a second M.2 Type M slot that I have no information about).

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, Intel Optane Memory Modules are NVMe cards, like your SSD. If your system has two M.2 Type M slots, you could put an Optane Memory Module in the second slot and use it to accelerate the performance of your HDD. If your system has only one M.2 Type M slot, however, to accelerate the performance of your HDD, (a) you would have to give up your existing NVMe SSD, (b) you would be booting and running from the accelerated HDD and (c) the Optane Memory Module, once enabled, would not be visible anywhere but in the RST/Optane app. (i.e. the Optane Memory Module and the HDD would appear to be one single drive).

I could find no indication that your laptop has two M.2 Type M slots. I therefore conclude,

1. No, you do not have a n M10 Optane Memory Module and no, you do not have a H10 Optane Memory SSD.
  2. You would need to purchase a M10 Optane Memory Module and forgo your NVMe SSD.
  3. You chose to have a NVMe SSD and a SATA HDD instead - which is, IMHO, the better choice! Many SSDs available in the market easily outperform the Optane Memory Modules).
  4. Yes, you could use one to accelerate the HDD, but only by giving up the NVMe SSD (unless there is a second M.2 Type M slot that I have no information about).

Hope this helps,

...S

RDunn5
Novice

Ok, perfect. That is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. And you are correct, there is only 1 slot in the pc. I believe I will keep it the way it is.

0 Kudos