Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Drive being used with Intel optane keeps disappearing.

Wibble
New Contributor I

I have an E: drive associated with my Intel Optane and it will randomly disappear. On reboot, it comes right back.

When I look in the System event logs, I see an error associated with that states "Disk 2 has been surprise removed.".

This started happening after I got the Optane card working with the drive.

Any idea what could be causing this?

0 Kudos
31 Replies
JosafathB_Intel
Hello Wibble, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information: • The SSU logs. 1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software. 2- When finished downloading it, open it. 3- Attach the file obtained to your reply. • A screenshot of the “Disk Management” of windows showing all your HDDs and partitions. As part of the troubleshooting and in order to discard any issue with the HDD or the OS we will like you to try the following troubleshooting: 1. Update Windows* to the latest version available. 2. Update the firmware of the HDD to the latest version available from the OEM(original equipment manufacturer). 3. Access to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options click in change plan settings Click on change advanced power settings and change the turn off hard disk after to 0, apply and click on OK and test the hibernation setting one more time. 4. Let us know the results. We will be looking forward to your reply including this information. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello Wibble, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello Wibble, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wibble
New Contributor I

I apologize for the delay. I do need help and will post the requested info tomorrow.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello Wibble, Thank you for your reply. We will be looking forward to your reply including the information requested in our first post, this in order to further assist you. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello Wibble, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello Wibble, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wibble
New Contributor I

It has not happened since the last time. Should I go ahead and post the logs or wait until it happens again?

Also would it be better to do the logs when the problem is occurring? For example, when the E: drive is missing?

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello Wibble, We will appreciate if you can provide us with the SSU logs and a screenshot of the “Disk Management” of windows showing all your HDDs and partitions in order to be able to start with the troubleshooting and to try to help you with the issue you are experiencing. We will be looking forward to your reply. Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wibble
New Contributor I

Attached is the disk management image.

Is there a way to privately send the ssu log?

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello Wibble, Thank you for your reply and the information provided. You are going to receive an email shortly from our advance technical support department in order to further assist you. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello Wibble, Thank you for your reply. As part of the troubleshooting and in order to discard any issue with the HDD or the OS we will like you to try the following troubleshooting: 1. Update Windows* to the latest version available. 2. Update the firmware of the HDD to the latest version available from the OEM. 3. Access to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options click on change plan settings Click on change advanced power settings and change the turn off hard disk after to 0, apply and click on OK and test the hibernation setting one more time. We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know the results of this troubleshooting. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wibble
New Contributor I

These things have all been done. Thanks

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello Wibble, Thank you for your reply. We will like to know if you are still experiencing the issue you reported and if you need further assistance. We will be looking forward to your reply. Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wibble
New Contributor I

As I said in a previous post, it has not happened in a week or so. Can we leave this ticket open for a week or so in the event it happens again.

When it does happen, what do you want me to upload

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello Wibble, Thank you for your reply. As per your request, we will keep this ticket open for another week and we will be replying to this post in a week to check if the issue continued. In case your issue continues, we advise you to contact your HDD manufacturer and your motherboard manufacturer in order to discard any hardware issue. A new set of the SSU logs will be appreciated in case the issue continues. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Wibble,

Greetings from Intel® SSD Support.

This is a friendly reminder your case remains open, awaiting for your reply.

Please let us know if you might need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Wibble
New Contributor I

It just happened again. Suddenly E: drive is missing and when I check event viewer it states:

"Disk 2 has been surprise removed."

On reboot it comes back.

Below are images of the Optane utilize before and after reboot.

Before reboot and when E: drive is missing:

optane-tool.jpg

After reboot:

after-reboot.jpg

Can you please send me an email so I can send before and after SSU logs privately?

Also If I do an RMA on the drive, how do I disable Optane on it while I swap it out ? Just go into the utilize and click the Disable button?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee
Hi Wibble, Greetings from Intel® SSD Support. You’ll receive an email in order for you to reply and attach the SSU log files; however, please bear in mind the case can’t be handled outside the community; after receiving the information, all troubleshooting details will continue to be shared in this community. Have a nice day. Best regards, Santiago A. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos