Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Hi I would like to know if Intel SSD Optane (905p) are supported on Linux (i.e Ubuntu 18.04) ? Are regular Intel SSD (660p, 760p) or Optane cards (900p) also supported ? Thanks, Raphaël

MRAPH
Beginner

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel

Hello MRAPH and User15873103393423124093,

Let me add the following to the information provided by n.scott.pearson:

• Intel® NVMe* drives are supported out-of-the-box on most Linux* distributions. 
  • There is some interesting information on our website regarding Tuning the performance of Intel® Optane™ SSDs on Linux Operating Systems in the following link:

https://itpeernetwork.intel.com/tuning-performance-intel-optane-ssds-linux-operating-systems/

• Regarding the BIOS settings and the supported OS for your PC, we recommend you contact your motherboard manufacturer to avoid unknown issues.
  • As mentioned in the Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

-What operating systems does Intel® Optane™ memory support when used for system acceleration?

Intel® Optane™ memory requires Windows 10 64-bit to be used as a system accelerator.

-Is Linux* supported when using Intel® Optane™ memory for system acceleration?

No, the accelerated SATA drive must be running Windows 10 64-bit to use the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver software. This enables the supported/validated method of using the Intel® Optane™ memory for the acceleration of the most commonly used data. Using the device with other software for caching is not supported or validated.

-I intend to have multiple operating systems on my system across multiple drives. Can Intel® Optane™ memory boost the performance of multiple drives?

No, Intel® Optane™ memory can accelerate one drive.

• Before processing any changes in software, hardware or BIOS settings we recommend having a backup of all your information and please, consult with your OEM (original equipment manufacturer) for guidance regarding the BIOS settings to avoid any hardware recognition issue later, after the OS installation.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel®

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Intel Optane Memory-based drive caching (acceleration) is not supported on Linux. This applies to Intel Optane Memory modules, intel Optane Memory M10 modules, Intel Optane Memory H10 with SSD modules, etc.

Regular SSDs (660p, 665p, 760p) are all supported on Linux.

...S

0 Kudos
MRAPH
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.

Can you install the latest LInux 18.04 from a USB bootable key on it, without any additional package ? Because not every NVMe is detected by the installer (i.e NVMe MP510 Force, Phison controller).

Thank you,

Raphaël

0 Kudos
User1587310339342312

I've been trying for days to get this drive to work with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, to no avail. It's possible that the drive will work with the mdadm driver, but I can't figure out how. If you can disable the M.2/RAID device and use the AHCI device instead (switch it from an array of Optane + SSD to just use the SSD) it should work like a normal drive in Ubuntu. However, my BIOS tells me that switching this may cause data loss. So I haven't tried it yet.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, I am not using Linux on any NUCs so cannot answer this level of question.

...S

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello MRAPH and User15873103393423124093,

Let me add the following to the information provided by n.scott.pearson:

• Intel® NVMe* drives are supported out-of-the-box on most Linux* distributions. 
  • There is some interesting information on our website regarding Tuning the performance of Intel® Optane™ SSDs on Linux Operating Systems in the following link:

https://itpeernetwork.intel.com/tuning-performance-intel-optane-ssds-linux-operating-systems/

• Regarding the BIOS settings and the supported OS for your PC, we recommend you contact your motherboard manufacturer to avoid unknown issues.
  • As mentioned in the Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html

-What operating systems does Intel® Optane™ memory support when used for system acceleration?

Intel® Optane™ memory requires Windows 10 64-bit to be used as a system accelerator.

-Is Linux* supported when using Intel® Optane™ memory for system acceleration?

No, the accelerated SATA drive must be running Windows 10 64-bit to use the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver software. This enables the supported/validated method of using the Intel® Optane™ memory for the acceleration of the most commonly used data. Using the device with other software for caching is not supported or validated.

-I intend to have multiple operating systems on my system across multiple drives. Can Intel® Optane™ memory boost the performance of multiple drives?

No, Intel® Optane™ memory can accelerate one drive.

• Before processing any changes in software, hardware or BIOS settings we recommend having a backup of all your information and please, consult with your OEM (original equipment manufacturer) for guidance regarding the BIOS settings to avoid any hardware recognition issue later, after the OS installation.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel®