Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

How do I pin a folder and all its subfolders on Windows 10? It seems it won't pin subfolders. That makes Optane useless. Imagine wanting to accelerate an entire Visual Studio solution. I have to go through each subfolder and pin manually.

JMill77
Beginner

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi JMill77,

Thank you for your contact to Intel® SSD support group with your request for assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory Series.

Intel® has issued an article where explains in detail the way Pinning functions as per your case/inquiry. Please find article by going to the following link: https://www.intel.sg/content/www/xa/en/support/articles/000028779/memory-and-storage.html

Please find below the main details on pinning:

Through the Application

The steps below detail how to use the Intel® Optane™ Memory application. The steps are similar to the ones you would take in other Intel® Optane™ memory capable applications such as the Intel® RST application.

1.      Launch the Intel® Optane™ Memory application.

2.      Click the 'Pinning' tab. This will bring up the 'Intel® Optane™ Memory Pinning' page.

3.      To Pin Files and Folders

1.       Click the 'Files' tab.
  2.       Click '+Files' or '+Folders'.
  3.       Browse to the file/folder that is to be accelerated, select and press 'OK' for a Folder and 'Open' for a File.

Note       

1.       The root folder will be shown in the application 'Pinned' box. This helps when multiple files with the same name are pinned, and may be in different locations. Note that only the Folder Contents selected or File will be accelerated.
  2.       If selecting a Folder, the subfolders and related content won't be accelerated. Only files within the folder selected will be accelerated. (If a folder is selected with only subfolders, no files are accelerated.)

Don’t hesitate to contact us in case you might have any additional inquires.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi JMill77,

Greetings from Intel® SSD Support Group.

This is a friendly reminder, you case remains open, awaiting for your kind reply.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
JMill77
Beginner
Hi, Unfortunately, the information you have kindly provided doesn’t address my question. It confirms what I already know – that neither Explorer or the dedicated app allow for subfolders to automatically be pinned when a folder is pinned. I’m looking for a way around that. Is there a command line option to pin a file/folder? If so, I could use a batch file to tag each subfolder. I routinely create folders with two levels of subfolders. I can’t do this manually because it would take far too long. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi JMill77,

Thank you for your reply to Intel® SSD support group with your request for assistance with your Intel® Optane™ Memory Series.

As of today, there’s no command line option, nor batch file procedure to pin files or folders, other than the Optane Software.

Optane uses and algorithm to analyze your mostly used files, making a hit rate analysis to have those files ready to use as per demand.

Might you have any additional inquires, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi JMill77,

This is a friendly reminder, you case remains open, awaiting for your kind reply.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let us know.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

0 Kudos
Santiago_A_Intel
Employee

Hi JMill77,

This is to let you know this case is being closed.

Please feel free to get back to Intel® communities, whenever you might feel necessary.

Have a nice day.

Santiago A.

0 Kudos