Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Installing Optane for Seconary Drive - Error: 0xA001004B the last partition on my system drive cannot be resized.

JMcKe3
Beginner

I have an Intel SSD boot drive (SSDSC2KW512G8) and a 6 TB traditional secondary (WDC WD6003FZBX-00K5WB0) drive. I'm trying to install Optane for the secondary drive.

• Gigabtye Z370p D3 Motherboard with the F5 BIOS from July of 2018
  • 64-bit Windows 10 Home
  • 32 GB Optane MEMPEK1W032GA

I've converted both drives to GPT, Set the BIOS to UEFI and left 100 MB of unallocated space at the end of both drives (just to be safe). Since the first drive is EFI the EFI partition is at the end, but I am installing to the secondary drive, so I hope that isn't an issue.

The https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28072/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?v=t Optane installer gives me error 0xA001004B that the last partition on my system drive cannot be resized.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hello JimMcKeeth.

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support.

As we understand you are trying to accelerate your secondary drive using your Intel® Optane™ Memory 32GB and you receive the "Error code: 0xA001004B".

The error code: 0xA001004B at the moment of trying to accelerate your secondary drive is telling us the following:

"Ensure there's at least 5 MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of your system drive."

Based on the screenshots from the "Disk Management" there is a recovery/system partition at the end of your system disk and this is the reason of the error you are experiencing and as stated on the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Error Codes and Messages While Enabling and Disabling Intel® Optane™ Memory" note:

NoteIf there's a recovery partition at the end of your system disk, it may not be movable. You may need to rebuild your OS image, but we recommend working with your OEM or motherboard vendor before proceeding.

We hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JimMcKeeth.

Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support.

As we understand you are trying to accelerate your secondary drive using your Intel® Optane™ Memory 32GB and you receive the "Error code: 0xA001004B".

The error code: 0xA001004B at the moment of trying to accelerate your secondary drive is telling us the following:

"Ensure there's at least 5 MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of your system drive."

Based on the screenshots from the "Disk Management" there is a recovery/system partition at the end of your system disk and this is the reason of the error you are experiencing and as stated on the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024113/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Error Codes and Messages While Enabling and Disabling Intel® Optane™ Memory" note:

NoteIf there's a recovery partition at the end of your system disk, it may not be movable. You may need to rebuild your OS image, but we recommend working with your OEM or motherboard vendor before proceeding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JMcKe3
Beginner

I used https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html EaseUS Partition Master Free to move the partitions around and that fixed it. Why is the free space necessary on the boot drive when I am installing it to the secondary drive?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JimMcKeeth.

Thank you for your reply.

We are glad to hear that you were able to accelerate your secondary/data drive.

To answer your question:

The SATA drive requires space to store configuration information to successfully pair the SATA drive with the Intel® Optane™ Memory Series module.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JMcKe3
Beginner

Once the pairing completes is it OK to remove the unallocated space? If not, how much space do I need to leave? Does it only need to be left on the boot drive, or does it also need to be left on the drive it is paired with?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JimMcKeeth.

Thank you for your reply.

To answer your questions:

• Once the pairing completes is it OK to remove the unallocated space?

Is not recommended, the unallocated space is a requirement for the Optane to work properly.

• If not, how much space do I need to leave?

To support system acceleration with Intel Optane Memory, the SATA disk must contain at least 5MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of the drive.

• Does it only need to be left on the boot drive, or does it also need to be left on the drive it is paired with?

The 5MB of continuous unallocated space at the end of the boot drive is necessary but is still recommended to leave some free space area on the drive that you are trying to accelerate too.

This being said, if in your current configuration you have left some space on both drives and everything is working fine, we recommend you to do not modify the drive partition structure unless is completely necessary.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JimMcKeeth.

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.

We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case?

Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos