Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel Optane disabling itself

NSche10
Beginner

I've been having an issue with my Intel Optane Memory that I use to accelerate a secondary hard drive. Seemingly randomly, the memory will unpair and disable itself. Sometimes it happens after a day or two, sometimes it takes weeks, but it keeps disabling itself.

I've attempted completely formatting the Optane drive, as well as changing from the Intel Optane application to the Intel Rapid Storage Technology application, but with no change in the behavior.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Did you leaved 5MB-15MB of unallocated space in the end of the HDD boeing accelerated? If not you should do this. You may shrink the allocated partition in the Disk Management, leaving unalloctated space in the end of drive. Intel Optane memory needs the space to store configuration information to successfully pair the drive with the memory module.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Did you leaved 5MB-15MB of unallocated space in the end of the HDD boeing accelerated? If not you should do this. You may shrink the allocated partition in the Disk Management, leaving unalloctated space in the end of drive. Intel Optane memory needs the space to store configuration information to successfully pair the drive with the memory module.

Leon

0 Kudos
NSche10
Beginner

Yes, the drive i'm accelerating has 15 MB of unallocated space. I've also made sure there is 15 MB of unallocated space on the system drive.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @NSche10​ 

1. I'm not sure that I understood your answer correctly - you mean that although you have unallocated space in the end of HDD boeing accelerated, the Optane deactivate its self? If the answer is yes I suggest that you try the following:
  2. Disable Optane and reboot your computer.
  3. Open Apps and Features (Windows settings) and uninstall the Optane application (this application reached EOL) . Reboot you computer.
  4. Download Intel RST Driver and unzip it on your drive. Right click on iaStorAC.inf and select install from drop down menu. Reboot your computer.
  5. Download and install from Microsoft Store the Intel Optane Memory and Management.
  6. Now enable Optane Acceleration. Follow Intel Optane Memory Installation Guide, Section 3.

Leon

0 Kudos