Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Intel Optane on Lenovo 330 is not recognized by device manager, disk list, intel RTS app or BIOS

josemdc
Beginner

Hello!

I got a Lenovo Ideapad 330 15ikb last year, but suddenly it went to Lenovo support service for a HDD malfunction from fabric, so it was replaced by them.

In the last months the laptop has been struggling to run programs like office or chrome. So I started to do some research about what was going so, then I discovered that the Intel Optane Module that was making this laptop fast before the hdd fails, it wasnt recognized anymore by the whole system. No detection of Intel Optane Memory in Intel RTS app, BIOS, DiskList, Device Manager, etc.

My assumption is that the support service (third party but backed by Lenovo) dind´t do the disabling process for the Intel Optane.

Am I stuck with a partially dead memory? If there is no solution, I will remove it from the m.2 socket.

By now the laptop have an HDD that i'm going to change for an SSD with a RAM upgrade.

The model of the optane module is: MEMPEI1J016GAL.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @josemdc.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

We received your ticket regarding the failed Optane Memory module, I will be glad to assist you 

It is possible that, as you mentioned, the Optane Memory acceleration was not properly disabled before replacing the HDD, causing both issues, the overall performance drop and the Optane Memory not being recognized in places like Disk Management, Diskpart "list disk" or Device Manager, but this should not damage the Optane Memory, it should still be recognized by Intel RST or the system BIOS, and most of the time this just requires the user to clear the old metadata from the disk.

The following steps may be useful in resolving the detection issue, I understand you mentioned that it was not detected in BIOS and RST, but possibly checking a different BIOS section, trying a different RST driver version, or the Optane Memory and Storage Management will make a difference.

Option 1: Reset the device through the Intel® RST or Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application

1. Uninstall the Intel® Optane™ Memory application, if installed.
  2. Install the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Application 16.8.3.1003 using 'SetupRST' or the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management Application from the MS Store*.
  3. Open the application.
  4. Select/Highlight the device and click the option to 'Clear Metadata'.
  5. Reboot system.

Option 2: Reset the device through the BIOS

1. Enter the system BIOS.
  2. Locate the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology page.
  3. Click the Intel® Optane™ memory module.
  4. Select 'Reset to non-Optane' or 'Deconcatenate'

If you already tried this or you just performed the steps to no avail, the best option would be to replace the Optane Memory.

How long ago did you purchase the system?

I will follow up on December 17th or we can schedule a different date if additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @josemdc.

This post is to follow up on your community thread to check if you had any questions regarding my previous message.

I will keep the thread open and follow up again on December 22nd, or we can schedule a different date to follow up if required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, @josemdc.

We were reviewing your community thread, which is related to the Intel® Optane™ Memory, and we have not heard back from you in a while, so we will proceed to close this inquiry now.

If you need assistance with an Intel® product, please open a new thread.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, @josemdc.

This message is to follow up on your community thread.

I previously shared some steps in order to try to resolve the issue.

This community thread will be closed right now since there has been no confirmation from you after trying to follow up, if further assistance is still required, please open a new thread as this one will no longer be monitored, or contact us via one of the other support methods (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html).

If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos