Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Intel Optane remains hidden after OS reinstall

wadewilson
Beginner

Hi,

I forgot to disable Intel Optane before reinstalling windows 10. Now the Device is not detected in Windows (CMD Diskpart/ Disk manager/Device Manager) and in BIOS. I have tried all the permutations and combinations mentioned in this community post: Can I recover a hidden 32GB Optane module when I shut down the machine with the Optane module turned on then changed my single NVRam for two, made a r... - Intel Communities

I know the device is not dead because this is the second time I have reinstalled windows 10 without resetting the optane drive (encountered the same issue before). I dont remember what I did to reset the Optane module (clearing its data) but I am confident there is some procedure or the other.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte B250M DS3H. I have tried the below procedures in BIOS:

1) Disable CSM

2) Set SATA mode to Intel RST with Optane Memory. Changing it back to AHCI also didnt do much

3) CTRL+I (doesnt result in anything)

4) F7 (just loads the default BIOS settings)

5) Run Windows 10 installer in UEFI mode (drive not detected there either)

There seems to be no way in bios to reset to non-optane (I checked my mobo manual). It was mentioned in the community post that the intel drive remains hidden after its set to Optane mode and post reinstall, its still stuck in that mode hence its not visible in BIOS.

Can you suggest any way to make it detectable again?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Probably you need to address your question to Gigabyte support:  how to reset/clean Optane Memory in BIOS. I'm not very familiar with Gigabyte BIOS, however after reading the manual I suggest that you may try this:

In BIOS, click on Peripherals tab.

Click on Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology option. In this section you should see Intel Optane Memory along with your other drive.

Click on the Intel Optane Memory  and you should see an option called Reset-to-non-Optane or something similar. Click to disable the old Optane engagement.

Leon

0 Kudos
wadewilson
Beginner
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I spoke to a Gigabyte Indian service center representative and they asked me to direct my question to Intel.

Regarding the directions you mentioned, post clicking on Intel Rapid Storage technology, only my SATA drives are visible. There is another option to check NVMe drives, but even there the drive is not populating.

I have checked a lot of community posts and have seen very similar issues where the drive is just not detected in BIOS.

I have checked all options but there seems to be no option to reset to non-Optane.

Any help is appreciated. Again I don’t believe the drive is dead, since all this started because I reinstall windows without turning off Optane (again).
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello, wadewilson.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you are requesting support; related to the Intel® Optane™ If we inferred correctly, please, review the following information:

1- As mentioned by the SU LeonWaksman. The best option is to contact Gigabyte* and to follow the instructions and recommendations provided by him.

2- Let me add the following link from your OEM (original equipment manufacturer) https://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/454/intel-optane-ready.html On this link, you can find some pictures and guides on how to try to set up your BIOS to use the Optane memory.

For more information and support about the BIOS and system compatibility, contact Gigabyte*.

If you need further assistance related to an Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us back by opening a new thread. We will no longer monitor this thread.

We hope fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help.

Best regards.

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
wadewilson
Beginner

Hi,

Bit disappointed with the reply, squarely putting the onus on Gigabyte and absolving yourselves for further support. I did mention previously that I already contacted Gigabyte and that only Intel will have the answer. 

But anyway, I have gone ahead again and contacted Gigabyte and PFB their response:

Email-ID: 1256891-1

Question: Hi,I have an Intel Optane drive that is not detected in the BIOS after a windows reinstall. I have been instructed by Intel to reset the drive to Non-Optane, but I am unable to find the correct navigation.Kindly advise. For more information about my issue, please see my Intel community post: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Optane-Memory/Intel-Optane-remains-hidden-after-OS-reinstall/m-p/1364482/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEwwNzNGUDlWQlhNUDI2fDEzNjQ0ODJ8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M7969 3/1/2022 1:13 AM
Answer:

We would recommend entering OS with your current install and try using the Intel Optane UI to see if it helps reverting the Optane drive back to usable state: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19056/intel-optane-memory-user-interface-and-driver-for-system-acceleration.html

Regards,

GIGABYTE

3/2/2022 2:11 PM

Email-ID: 1256891-2  
Question: Hi,As highlighted in my Intel community post, the drive is not visible in the Windows application or in the BIOS. The Intel team have specifically mentioned that in the Gigabyte BIOS, I must navigate to Intel Optane settings and ‘Reset to Non Optane’. (The drive is in hidden status)However, they are not able to provide the correct navigation in the gigabyte BIOS. Kindly advise. 3/3/2022 8:17 AM
Answer:

We believe that since the drive is set to be controlled by Intel RST/Optane, our BIOS is no longer able to detect the drive.

Intel software in OS is required to disable this for our BIOS to gain control over it again.

Regards,

GIGABYTE

3/9/2022 3:10 PM

As stated above, the Intel software is the only way out to enable the drive to be detected in the BIOS.

Kindly advise

0 Kudos
bentriviani
Beginner

@wadewilson wrote:

Hi,

Bit disappointed with the reply, squarely putting the onus on Gigabyte and absolving yourselves for further support. I did mention previously that I already contacted Gigabyte and that only Intel will have the answer. 

But anyway, I have gone ahead again and contacted Gigabyte and PFB their response:

Email-ID: 1256891-1

Question: Hi,I have an Intel Optane drive that is not detected in the BIOS after a windows reinstall. I have been instructed by Intel to reset the drive to Non-Optane, but I am unable to find the correct navigation.Kindly advise. For more information about my issue, please see my Intel community post: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-Optane-Memory/Intel-Optane-remains-hidden-after-OS-reinstall/m-p/1364482/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEwwNzNGUDlWQlhNUDI2fDEzNjQ0ODJ8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw#M7969 3/1/2022 1:13 AM
Answer:

We would recommend entering OS with your current install and try using the Intel Optane UI to see if it helps reverting the Optane drive back to usable state: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19056/intel-optane-memory-user-interface-and-driver-for-system-acceleration.html https://mostbet-star.com/az/ 

Regards,

GIGABYTE

3/2/2022 2:11 PM

Email-ID: 1256891-2  
Question: Hi,As highlighted in my Intel community post, the drive is not visible in the Windows application or in the BIOS. The Intel team have specifically mentioned that in the Gigabyte BIOS, I must navigate to Intel Optane settings and ‘Reset to Non Optane’. (The drive is in hidden status)However, they are not able to provide the correct navigation in the gigabyte BIOS. Kindly advise. 3/3/2022 8:17 AM
Answer:

We believe that since the drive is set to be controlled by Intel RST/Optane, our BIOS is no longer able to detect the drive.

Intel software in OS is required to disable this for our BIOS to gain control over it again.

Regards,

GIGABYTE

3/9/2022 3:10 PM

As stated above, the Intel software is the only way out to enable the drive to be detected in the BIOS.

Kindly advise

Hello! I agree that the answer was disappointing, but I'm glad you found the solutions and thank you for sharing them here!

0 Kudos
bentriviani
Beginner

Hello! I agree that the answer was disappointing, but I'm glad you found the solutions and thank you for sharing them here!

0 Kudos