Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Intel driver update caused BSOD "inaccessible boot device" then bios "boot device not found"

adntigger710
Beginner

This may be long but want to make sure I included everything as I know little things can make a big difference. Note, it's an HP omen 15 with intel optane.

Computer was working fine and got a notification that intel had 2 driver updates. I clicked the button on the popup to update and computer froze right away, then shut off and restart (no BSOD before restart). Upon restart, BSOD with "inaccessible boot device".

It's probably important to note that sometimes it actually WOULD boot into windows. I'd put in my pin, get to desktop, but mouse would show "working" until it would BSOD to "inaccessible boot device" again. Very weird.

Googled fixes for this. Got repair mode to come up a few times. Startup repair did nothing. No windows updates to uninstall. Went into command prompt and noticed windows wasn't on C drive. Oddly, in file explorer it IS on c drive. I DO have a D drive but it's a self-installed 1TB SSD just for games. Searched D drive, the windows dir was there (wtf?). This was the ONLY time I saw the "D" drive. Was following a fix, typed cd regback on the D drive (was already under windows\system32\config) but when I hit enter it did nothing (just the blinking cursor on the next line. Closed it out after 20 mins or so). After this, command actually no longer found this D drive.

At some point it started to not even boot into windows recovery, I now keep getting the HP bios screen with "boot device not found" (3F0). Checking bios (technically UEFI) and it's not finding all storage. It sees the 29GB optane drive and my 1TB self-installed WD black. So, it's not seeing the original drive (again, this is odd as command prompt was seeing a "c" drive, but maybe this was the optane?) When running the hardware diagnostics it sees the optane drive but Short DST is "not available". Under "UEFI HII configuration" it also shows "incomplete optane volume" and its status is "offline". Everything I see online says I can click "reset to non-optane" but that might not even fix it and that makes me completely lose everything.

SO, it sounds like whatever driver it was trying to update messed up the optane drive and I assume that's my boot drive. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this without losing all of my files? I have a lot of sensitive work data and cookies that took time to set up (authentication stuff for my boss's various accounts that I need to take up his time to set up). Is there any way I can fix the driver from bios/UEFI? I will try literally anything else as long as I can keep my data. Thanks so much for your help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, adntigger710.

Thank you for posting on the Intel community Support forums.

I received your ticket regarding the Optane H10 no longer being able to boot, I'm really sorry to hear about this and the data, I will be glad to assist you.

About possible troubleshooting, you can check the system BIOS for the appropriate settings required by Optane H10, these may have different names and locations depending on the manufacturer, but generally they are as follows:

• PCIe remapping: Disabled
  • Legacy Support or CSM: Disabled.
  • SATA mode or RAID mode: Intel RST Premium / Optane Ready / RAID

HP also has an article that may help with the BIOS settings, specially the sections "System requirements" and "Installing the Intel Optane Memory H10 software":

Regarding the information, you can try connecting the drive to a different system (if available) as a secondary drive , or install Windows on a different SSD in the same system (if possible).

If you are going to try a different system, it is important that it can recognize both portions of the Optane H10, so check if it is Optane H10 compatible and also uses Intel RST or the Optane Memory and Storage Management.

You may also check directly with HP if they have any details about similar issues and a possible fix.

I will keep the thread open and wait for any updates you can share, and will set a follow up on April 4th just in case.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, adntigger710.

I wanted to follow up on your thread to check if you had any questions regarding my previous post.

I will follow up one more time on April 7th before closing the thread, so please let me know if our assistance is still required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, adntigger710.

This post is to inform you about the thread closure.

I previously shared some details regarding Optane HP, the settings you can review, and possible methods to recovery the files, and also recommended to check with HP in case they are aware of similar cases, but there has been no response from you after I tried to follow up.

The thread will be closed and no longer monitored by Intel support. If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

You may receive an invitation to take a survey in a few days. We value your feedback and look forward to hearing about your support experience.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos