Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

Intel optane 13.4 GB not 16? And other problems.

rj1
Beginner

Hello i have just installed intel optane module 16 gb, and it is working, the system is loading fast and is responsive i have all the drivers and the latest bios version on my motherboard.

My cpu is:

i5 8400

Mobo:

Gigabyte B360m HD3

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B360M-HD3-rev-10# kf https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B360M-HD3-rev-10# kf

However i meet a really weird behaviour of the optane from time to time. Every fourth or fifth system boot up i meet a black screen on my monitor and a communicate with "no signal" on it, i tried to plug my hdmi cable from graphic card port to the motherboard, i tried to plug it off and on on both ends, but it doesnt happen to help at all. The only thing that makes it working is to wait a couple of minutes, then the screen appears to show the mouse and after several minutes later the windows appears really struggling to load everything and is not responsive at that time. Other way to fix it was to press the reset button however the system loading is just as long as it would be without resetting.

Its not a hardware or a HD issue because before i installed optane everything was working perfectly fine.

It seems like the optane just randomly stops working like at all and wakes up after the system is boot up.

Another thing i find interesting is my optane driver and in the bios instead of 16 gb of memory my optane module is only 13.4 gb. Will it be my optane stick is damaged in some way?

I checked the temperatures of my optane with HWINFO64 and they are fine, it does work but it sometimes its not and i found it weird

Here:

https://imgur.com/a/vGO9TV8 Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Another thing i found interesting is this error here in the eventlogs :

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi Lol444,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your situation regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

As per event logs error, it seems that the Windows(R) 10 fast startup is enabled. We recommend you to disable the fast startup because of Optane(TM) will accelerate the startup process. Please follow the next steps:

To disable Fast Startup, go to Start > Control Panel > Power Options and click "Choose what the power buttons do" from the column on the left.

Scroll down to "Shutdown settings" and uncheck the box for "Turn on fast startup".

Click the "Save changes" button to apply the changes.

Also, as per https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Optane(TM) FAQ, please check the reason why the Optane(TM) shows less space:

The capacity shown in the Windows* operating system for the Intel Optane memory series module is less than the 16 GB or 32 GB noted on the box. Why is this?

The operating system and related tools report a smaller capacity than you see on the box. The module uses a small portion of memory media management and maintenance. The listed density of 16 GB and 32 GB is the raw density of the 3D XPoint Memory Media. The total user capacity remains constant throughout the life of the drive.

Please let us know if the situation remains after disabling the fast startup.

Regards,

Junior M.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Lol444,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your situation regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory.

As per event logs error, it seems that the Windows(R) 10 fast startup is enabled. We recommend you to disable the fast startup because of Optane(TM) will accelerate the startup process. Please follow the next steps:

To disable Fast Startup, go to Start > Control Panel > Power Options and click "Choose what the power buttons do" from the column on the left.

Scroll down to "Shutdown settings" and uncheck the box for "Turn on fast startup".

Click the "Save changes" button to apply the changes.

Also, as per https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024018/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory.html Optane(TM) FAQ, please check the reason why the Optane(TM) shows less space:

The capacity shown in the Windows* operating system for the Intel Optane memory series module is less than the 16 GB or 32 GB noted on the box. Why is this?

The operating system and related tools report a smaller capacity than you see on the box. The module uses a small portion of memory media management and maintenance. The listed density of 16 GB and 32 GB is the raw density of the 3D XPoint Memory Media. The total user capacity remains constant throughout the life of the drive.

Please let us know if the situation remains after disabling the fast startup.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
rj1
Beginner

Thank you for your help, i will check how will it work in the future, it probably is what caused the problems, probably windows "thinks" the intel rapid storage was still on the system running. Many thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Lol444,

Thanks for the reply.

Please let us know if the situation remains.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos