Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Intel optane software crashing

jgoor
Beginner

Since a couple of days the intel optane software is crashing ?

Prior to that it was working fine. The memory itself is working, no erros occurred there.

\
0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello vanelle.

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane™ software. If we infer correctly, to begin diagnosis and consequent troubleshooting that could take us to a resolution, we would appreciate if you could, please, reply to this post with the following, important, basic information:

1. System Integration (please, describe how your system is integrated; please, include the manufacturer and model of all the components)
  2. Are you trying to accelerate a primary or a secondary/data drive?
  3. The Windows 10 version that you have set up in the system.
  4. Have you tried to reinstall the Intel® Optane™ software?

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
jgoor
Beginner

System info.

1.Gigabyte z370 D v.1, I5 8600K, geforce gtx 980, 16gig ddr4 3000mhz, seagate barracuda pro 2T + intel optane 32GB

2. Accelerate primary drive, the optane memory is accelerating the drive. No error there, it is the software wich crashes

3. Windows 10 home v.1803

4. I have reinstalled the software, did not fix the issue

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi vanelle,

Could you please try to install the RST application instead just to confirm if the same or similar issue still happens? There were some reports some weeks ago about an issue with the Intel® Optane™ application so we can try to use the other application to see if it's fixed.

You can manage the Intel® Optane™ Memory from both applications, however you can only have one of them installed in the system. So, please follow these steps to switch the application:

1. Go to the Intel® Optane™ application and disable the module.
  2. Once the module is disabled, please uninstall the application.
  3. Download the RST application from the following site and install it in your system: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27984/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=99745 Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) User Interface and Driver
  4. Open the application and enable the Intel® Optane™ Memory again.

Please try this and let us know if the issue persists.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
jgoor
Beginner

I will let you know how it went. I need to disable the optane in the bios since I can't use the application though.

0 Kudos
jgoor
Beginner

I intstalled the rst software you mentioned, after enableing the optane memory the rst software crashed to desktop.

The intel optane memory seems to be wokring however, it just crashes the software somehow.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello vanelle.

Thank you for your reply.

• Would you mind to provide us with screenshots of the error at the moment that the RST application crashes?

Since the application is able to activate the Optane acceleration it seems to be related more to an OS (operating system) issue at the moment of running the tool.

• had experienced any issue at the moment of running any other app on your system?

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello vanelle,

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support.

We have not heard from you since our last communication and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case?

Important note: Should further assistance or clarification be required, we will greatly appreciate if you reply to this post instead of writing a new one unless your inquiry is completely unrelated. This way we will prevent generating a duplicate post and we will not lose the train of thought.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support.
0 Kudos
RD_
Beginner

Hello Josh B.

I've got exactly the same trouble with the optane software crashing.

Unfortunately I can't disable the module to uninstall the Optane-Software, because my BIOS do not provide this feature

The optane-module seems to work fine. There aren't any error messages exept the error in optane software. But there aren't any errorcodes or similar to find in the eventlog about the software crash.

Of course I tried to reinstall (repear) the optane software... as alike the requestor of this tread without any success.

Do you have any idea, how I can disable the module without using optane software or bios features?

Are the perhaps a commandline-tool which can do that?

Or is it possible to uninstall the optane software and simultaneously install the RST-Software without disable the module and without loosing the OS-Data?

How can I get a complete backup of the os-installation if there are some data on the HDD and some other data on the optane-module?

Sorry I become desperate about this issue

Best regards

Ralf D.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rad007,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Technical Support.

As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® Optane memory. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information:

• A screenshot of the "Disk Management" of windows showing all your HDDs and partitions.
To answer your questions:

Do you have any idea, how I can disable the module without using optane software or bios features?

The best way to disable Optane is using one of the methods that you mentioned as stated in the user manual.

Are the perhaps a command-line-tool which can do that?

As far as command line options up to this moment all the recommended options need a GUI.

Or is it possible to uninstall the optane software and simultaneously install the RST-Software without disabling the module and without losing the OS-Data?

In order to uninstall the Optane software you need to disable the Optane acceleration as a requirement and after this process, you need to restart your system.

Regarding the OS-Data the possibilities of experiencing an issue with your OS after uninstalling the Optane software is minimum but we always recommend having a verified back up before processing any Hardware/Software change.

How can I get a complete backup of the os-installation if there are some data on the HDD and some other data on the optane-module?

If you are able to access your OS as we can see from the screenshot you shared with us you should be able to back up all your information using another storage device.

We understand your frustration regarding the issue you are experiencing and we recommend you to proceed to create a backup of your information.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
RD_
Beginner

Hello Josh B.

thanx for your response.

Because I found the Optane-Logfiles I found an errorcode, too.

With this errorcode I found the helpful thread:

The easiest solution was to stop the process in the taskmanager.

Than I was able to start the Optane Memory application without any errormessages. Fortunately I could disable the concatenation and after uninstalling and reinstalling the application it works fine!

Thank you for your attention!

Best regards!

Ralf

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rad007,

We are glad to hear that you were able to resolve the issue you were experiencing.

We will like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
RD_
Beginner

Hello Josh B.,

the optane-modul is now working without any problems.

So I think this case can be closed.

Thank you !

Best regards!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rad007,

Thank you for your reply.

As per your consent, this case is now closed.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos