Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Is there an issue with Asus z270g and optane?

NAlva1
Beginner

I recently picked up a 16gb stick of old(non m10) optane and cannot get it to enable. I've spent two days googling so far and I'm at the end of my rope. I've tried both m2 slots, I've reformatted and reinstalled windows 10 to a gpt partition. I'm on the latest bios, I've tried my drives in different sata ports, I've got got IRST enabled in bios(I get a bluescreen on boot without it, inaccessible boot device), I've got m2_2 raid support on. I've tried both IRST and Optane applications, but both immediately error out with 0xA005004B. Any ideas? Did I overlook a critical step?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
NAlva1
Beginner

Alright about 4 hours and 8 reformats later I've got optane slightly working. It lets me enable Optane on both my boot drive, and a secondary mechanical hard drive with only media on it. However I get the same 0xA005004B error when I try to enable Optane on my 3tb hitachi drive I use for my programs. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, only one Optane module accelerating one drive is supported.

...S

0 Kudos
NAlva1
Beginner
Yeah I'm aware optane can only be used on a single drive at a time. My issue now is that I can (independently) enable optane on my sata ssd and ONE of my TWO mechanical drives. However the mechanical drive I wanted to enable optane acceleration on throws the same error as I got before all the reformatting. It works perfectly fine on 2/3 of my drives. I may have to swap the ssd cables and see if that changes anything. Any other routes I should be aware of?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No thoughts other than swapping SATA cables.

...S​

0 Kudos
NAlva1
Beginner
Just flipped them. Same error on the Hitachi drive I'm trying to accelerate. Very strange.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Wait - the error followed the SATA connector?​

0 Kudos
NAlva1
Beginner
The error persists on that specific Hitachi drive regardless of the sata port/cable I use.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, can you provide a dump of that drive's S.M.A.R.T. attributes? You can use a tool like CrystalDiskInfo (download here: https://crystalmark.info/en/download/) to get this dump.

...S

0 Kudos
NAlva1
Beginner

I can successfully enable optane on the INTEL SSDSC2CW120A3 and TOSHIBA HDWE140. I cannot enable it on Hitachi HUA723030ALA640. TOSHIBA MQ04UBD200 is an external drive. I think the TOSHIBA HDWE140 is showing a reallocated sectors error because I'm in the process of moving 1.5tb of music off of it to make space for programs in the chance we can't get the hitachi drive working with optane.

https://pastebin.com/MPZJGuDZ

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello NAlva1, Thank you for having contacted Intel® SSD Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
NAlva1
Beginner
Hey josh, I still have no idea what the issue with that specific hitachi drive was. I ended up playing hard drive musical chairs and got everything flipped around I need, but its not the most elegant solution. Have you run into other customers who have had problems with one specific drive while every other one is eligible for optane acceleration?
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello NAlva1, Thank you for your reply. Yes, that is a common issue that sometimes could be related to the way that the HDD was formatted or to the SATA port that the HDD is connected on your motherboard. As part of the troubleshooting, we advise you to create a verified back up of your information, proceed with a secure erase of your HDD. To run the secure erase we recommend you to follow the Run a Low-Level Format on Intel® Solid State Drives guide by connecting your SSD to a SATA port on your PC. If this does not work please provide us with a screenshot of the disk manager of Windows* showing all your disk and partitions. We will be looking forward to your reply letting us know the results. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello NAlva1, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello NAlva1, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos