Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

No valid disk pairs and too many volumes error after failed disable-reboot-enable cycle

JR100
Beginner

I'm on a HP Pavilion Gaming - 15-dk0640nd where the optane drive was pre-installed. It is my primary drive and it has my Win 10 partition on it.

No issues untill I opened the Optane app, which advised me to increase performance by disabling optane, rebooting and enabling again. I disabled and rebooted only to be booted into an old windows 8 installation that was living on an old secondary drive (that I now only used for storage).

Naturally I tried to set BIOS to boot from my optane drive again, but this was now showing all sorts of errors so the BIOS wouldn't allow that. After removing the secondary drive it actually did boot to the Win 10 on the optane drive but now it's impossible to re enable the optane drive normally.

Current situation:

* It seems to now be running on the larger partition (around 500Gb) but not the fast smaller one (27Gb). 

* The Optane app shows under manage the following status: Your system is reporting one or more events, and data may be at risk. Refer to the details below for more information (See screenshot A)

* Under Intel memory optane the app shows errors: "There are no valid disk pairs in your system" and "There may be too many volumes in your system" (See screenshot B)

* Disk management overview in screenshot C

* I want to re enable normal functionality but leave the drive intact because it contains my Win installation and practically everything else. I do have backups but I would hate to spend months getting everything back to the way it was just because Intel wanted me to do a simple disable and enable cycle. What to do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JR100 

I've just realized that you have opened a thread of yours. Although I have not the full information on your system, I can see that you are using Intel H Series SSD. The laptop OEM tends to customize their systems, therefore the advisable is to get the support from HP. Never less, please read the HP PCs - Installing Intel Optane Memory H10 with Solid State Storage and verify that the BIOS setting are set corresponding to this guide (i.e the SATA mode is set to RST and Intel Optane mode and that H/W remapping is disabled.   "Configure Storage Controller for Intel Optane" in Advanced> System is selected).  If you need to make change in those settings, set Windows boot mode to SAFE first, otherwise your Windows boot will be corrupted.

In addition please read the Installation Guide for Intel Optane H series  and Troubleshoot Detection Issues with the Intel® Optane™ Memory H Series

I don't think that the unallocated space in the drive end is causing your problem but you may review this document as well. 

Leon

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JR100 

I've just realized that you have opened a thread of yours. Although I have not the full information on your system, I can see that you are using Intel H Series SSD. The laptop OEM tends to customize their systems, therefore the advisable is to get the support from HP. Never less, please read the HP PCs - Installing Intel Optane Memory H10 with Solid State Storage and verify that the BIOS setting are set corresponding to this guide (i.e the SATA mode is set to RST and Intel Optane mode and that H/W remapping is disabled.   "Configure Storage Controller for Intel Optane" in Advanced> System is selected).  If you need to make change in those settings, set Windows boot mode to SAFE first, otherwise your Windows boot will be corrupted.

In addition please read the Installation Guide for Intel Optane H series  and Troubleshoot Detection Issues with the Intel® Optane™ Memory H Series

I don't think that the unallocated space in the drive end is causing your problem but you may review this document as well. 

Leon