cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ELee34
Beginner

Optane 32GB + Toshiba 3T HDD, HDD constant activity, with SSU Scan Information

I have the same issue with this post:

Optane 32GB + Toshiba 3T HDD, Windows 10 fresh installation a week ago. HDD turns out a "constant activity" pattern after idle time of 10 minutes(windows power setting) with HDD LED light on and HDD head seems always busy searching something but fails to, making a continuous cracking sound. When I have any operation on the HDD, like open up a folder, the unusual activity pattern stops. After another 10 minutes the same pattern repeats again. When I disable Optane acceleration, this pattern never starts. Chinese simplified version of Windows 10 Education version. Is there a possible issue with RST power configuration on specific motherboards? Looking forward to your reply. SSU scan result system.txt attached.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi Eric_CH,

Thank you for contacting our support community.

We understand your concern regarding the Intel® Optane™ Memory. In order to better assist you, could you please confirm the following information:

*Are you experiencing any performance issues in his system?

*Are you determining that the Optane(TM) memory is accessing the HDD? Are you determining this just by the LED or do you get any error or report from the system?

*have you tried with a different HDD?

We will be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

ELee34
Beginner

Hi, thanks for your reply.It seems that we have got into the same issue with HDD "constant activity".

*From my system performance, there is nothing wrong with HDD reading or writing. The only problem I infer is that when it comes to the time for HDD to power down after being idle for 10 minutes( as the HDD power saving setting in Windows) , the HDD wil be "constantly busy" with the R/W head cracking noise and the HDD LED on. When there is any operation on the HDD (and the idle mode is over), such as opening a folder or saving a file, that "busy" mode and cracking HDD head noise will stop at once. Therefore I don't think Optane is accessing the HDD, but Optane driver or application may prevent the HDD from entering power down idle mode. No other error report from the system.

*As for trying another HDD, I don't know if I have another mechanic HDD in GPT format. I will report later.

Regars,

Eric

ELee34
Beginner

Hi, thanks for your reply.It seems that we have got into the same issue with HDD "constant activity".

*From my system performance, there is nothing wrong with HDD reading or writing. The only problem I infer is that when it comes to the time for HDD to power down after being idle for 10 minutes( as the HDD power saving setting in Windows) , the HDD wil be "constantly busy" with the R/W head cracking noise and the HDD LED on. When there is any operation on the HDD (and the idle mode is over), such as opening a folder or saving a file, that "busy" mode and cracking HDD head noise will stop at once. Therefore I don't think Optane is accessing the HDD, but Optane driver or application may prevent the HDD from entering power down idle mode. No other error report from the system.

*As for trying another HDD, I don't know if I have another mechanic HDD in GPT format. I will report later.

Regars,

Eric

idata
Community Manager

Hi Eric_CH,

Thank you for the reply.

Based on the information provided. We recommend you to contact your https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html local support team for further assistance.

Regards,

Junior M.