Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane memory (16gb) not working in HP Pavillion X360 model (14cd0055tx)

idata
Employee

I have bought HP Pavillion X360 14cd0055tx model that came with optane memory (16gb). After a few days suddenly the laptop showed no boot device found. Being unaware of uefi and legacy mode I formatted the whole machine in legacy mode. After that my optane memory enable option is greyed out and not being physically detected by bios, list disk, device manager and rapid storage module. How can this be resolved?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Sounak99,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

According to your description, your system is currently configured in Legacy mode. The Intel® Optane™ Memory is not compatible with Legacy mode, so you would have to set your system to work in UEFI mode so the module can work and be recognized correctly.

Additionally, as you formatted it while the module was still paired with the drive, it may be possible that the module still has the data from the first setup. You would have to clean this data by following these steps:

1. Open your command prompt as Administrator.
  2. Run the command diskpart to enter in Diskpart environment.
  3. Type list disk and press enter to display a list of the drives connected to your system. You should see the Intel® Optane™ Memory there.
  4. Take note of the disk number associated to the module. Then run the command select disk . Make sure to use the disk number associated to the module.
  5. Type clean all and press enter. This command will clean the module erasing all data stored in it. The purpose is to delete all data from the previous setup so that the module can be re-configured again from scratch. Just wait for the process to complete and then try to setup the module again.

In order to perform these steps, the system must be configured in UEFI mode first. Otherwise, the module will not be detected.

However, considering the fact that you are using a laptop and not a desktop system, I highly recommend you to contact the manufacturer (HP in this case) to help you configuring the laptop and the module as they originally came. Laptop systems are not the same as desktop systems, and it is usual that laptops come with special features and settings from the manufacturer, so before doing any system change, it's better to contact the manufacturer for assistance.

I hope you find this information useful.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Diego,

I have formatted in legacy mode, but later I understood that it was a mistake, so I bought hp recovery media and brought my system back to the original factory settings just as I bought. Now everything is just the same ( that includes uefi mode) except optane memory, it is not being recognised in bios, disk part, device manager and the rapid storage window is showing system is optane ready but no module is installed.

Now my question is, is it possible for the optane memory to be switched off automatically as I formatted the machine while it was attached to the hard drive in enabled condition, if so how can I switch it back on?

Please help.

Thank you for your response.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Sounak99,

The Intel® Optane™ Memory doesn't switch off or similar. On the other hand, what I think is currently happening with the module is that it still has the data from the first setup.

Your drive has a "new" OS system, and your module still has the data from the "old" OS, so it's not recognized. As I mentioned in my previous post, the module's data must be cleaned with the process above, however as it is not recognized at BIOS, it will not be recognized by Windows* either.

On desktop systems, the BIOS usually includes an option to reset the module so it can be detected again. This option is useful in these kind of situations where the OS was re-installed without disabling the module beforehand.

However, as you are using a laptop, I cannot tell you where this option is located, or if the option is even included in the BIOS. You can navigate through the BIOS and search for it, or to contact HP for assistance on this.

The option to reset the module in other systems is usually found under "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology". A list of the drives should be available there, including the module, allowing you to reset it.

I have found the following article from the HP support site, I recommend you to check it as it may help you to find the option mentioned above: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06101701

I hope this information helps you.

As I mentioned, my recommendation is to contact HP for assistance on where this option is located, or if they have another way to bring the module back after an OS re-installation because this may vary depending on the system itself.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos