Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Optane memory freezes computer, even BSODs sometimes

DMuno2
Beginner

I own an acer laptop with an 1 tb HDD and a 16 gb Optane module(Plus an i7 8750H on top), however very soon after purchase, the performance started going down, way down, to the point where even simple tasks like bringing any window up front or clicking any button would take unfathomable ammounts of time(20-30 seconds), which eventually rendered the laptop useless and on extreme cases would cause Windows to BSO.

Task Manager would always show a heavy 100% HDD usage permanently on just from Windows' own processes and even on idle, which i always found a little odd.

Tinkering with the machine however, i turned the Optane memory OFF, which immediately put the intense HDD usage to a halt and my laptop back to normal.

Is there something that fixes these issues regarding Optane?

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DiegoV_Intel

Hi DMuno2,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Considering the fact that you purchased this laptop recently, I highly recommend you to contact the place of purchase or the manufacturer for assistance. If the module came enabled and working from factory, then it is expected that it works fine. If you are having issues with the module, or with any other component of the laptop, then you should contact the manufacturer for proper support.

There are no reports related to the behavior you are describing, so there are no fixes or suggestions that I can give you. Besides, issues with laptops are beyond of our support scope because every laptop has been designed in a different way, so the module installation and proper functionality depends on the manufacturer itself.

It may be possible that there is an issue with the module or even with the HDD, however this can only be addressed by the manufacturer or place of purchase. If they conclude that the module is damaged, then they should offer you some kind of warranty considering that you purchased the laptop recently.

I hope you find this information helpful.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DiegoV_Intel

Hi DMuno2,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Considering the fact that you purchased this laptop recently, I highly recommend you to contact the place of purchase or the manufacturer for assistance. If the module came enabled and working from factory, then it is expected that it works fine. If you are having issues with the module, or with any other component of the laptop, then you should contact the manufacturer for proper support.

There are no reports related to the behavior you are describing, so there are no fixes or suggestions that I can give you. Besides, issues with laptops are beyond of our support scope because every laptop has been designed in a different way, so the module installation and proper functionality depends on the manufacturer itself.

It may be possible that there is an issue with the module or even with the HDD, however this can only be addressed by the manufacturer or place of purchase. If they conclude that the module is damaged, then they should offer you some kind of warranty considering that you purchased the laptop recently.

I hope you find this information helpful.

If there is anything else I can help you with, feel free to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi DMuno2,

I would like to know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DMuno2
Beginner

Hello DiegoV and thank you for your reasonable advice, i'll be checking if i'm still covered by the warranty since my faulty optane stick seems to be a one-hit wonder, otherwise i'll just stick with it, but never turn it on again i guess.

Regards

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi DMuno2,

Thank you for your response.

Considering the behavior you described, that would be the best option to do since all components that came with the laptop should work as expected.

If you ever have another issue or concern, please feel free to open a new thread. We’ll try to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos