Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Problems logging in after downloading optane

MRope1
Beginner

At my windows' prompting I tried to update my Intel driver, and installed optane, in order to allow windows 10 updates to happen. I then restarted my laptop: it recognises my profile but won't allow me to log in-it is insisting that my password is incorrect and is refusing to connect to my WiFi (a remembered connection). I basically can't get in to my computer and now think my system won't run optane (even though the specs seemed to fit:I have an Asus rog strix gl502vs with an i7 processor). Can anyone help?!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

Ok, glad you are up and running.

Now, do you actually use RST?

No, updating the RST software will not work by itself, despite what the brain trust at Microsoft says.

Have a backup or checkpoint before you start.

Download and install https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28966/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

Once rebooted, go to windows/system32/drivers and rename IASTORA.sys to IASTORA.tmp. The windows upgrade tool is complaining that this file simply exists on your system, not that it is actually used.

Do your upgrade to 1903.

All should be ok. Report back.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

None of this makes any sense.

What is the model number of your processor?

Did you actually have Optane memory in your system before these issues began?

Windows prompted you to update your intel drivers? Explain.

What version of windows 10 are you running? 1903?

It recognizes your profile, but will not accept your login password?

If you cannot login, how are you testing wifi?

What optane model do you have (provide model number)?

If your processor is a i7-6700HQ, you cannot run optane. Optane is only for 7th gen and later processors.

Doc

0 Kudos
MRope1
Beginner

I think I am an actual idiot: I think but can't swear to it, that it is i7-6700hq.

I had a notification to "fix this issue" to do with being unable to download Windows updates due to my istora being out of date, so I navigated through and downloaded optane, and when i had done so it prompted me to restart, which I did.

When it started up it brings up the usual local profile login screen but isn't accepting my password and the three options in the bottom left are the usual power button, ease of access and the Internet connectivity button, which is showing the disconnected wire icon and only allowing me the option of flight mode. It might not be optane's fault, but it seems likely.

Thanks for the response, and any help other than "hard reset" would be great, although I do have things backed up should that ultimately be necessary.

0 Kudos
BlackCobra
Beginner

I have the same problem

My processor is intel i5 8300h

What should i do

I don't have backup on my pc.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Yes, the iastora issue is a big problem for Microsoft and Intel. With 1903 being blocked by the mere existence of iastora.sys, users are having a lot of problems.

If you have restore points, you may want to restore to a point before you did all of this.

Now, if you do get your system back to working order, come back here and we will try to get you past the iastora.sys problem so you can get to 1903. Otherwise, a clean install of 1903 should solve your problems.

No, you are likely not an idiot since you have backups.<G>

Doc

0 Kudos
MRope1
Beginner

Thank you!

I did manage to restore to before I tried to install optane.

Will just downloading setuprst.exe work, do you think?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Ok, glad you are up and running.

Now, do you actually use RST?

No, updating the RST software will not work by itself, despite what the brain trust at Microsoft says.

Have a backup or checkpoint before you start.

Download and install https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28966/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

Once rebooted, go to windows/system32/drivers and rename IASTORA.sys to IASTORA.tmp. The windows upgrade tool is complaining that this file simply exists on your system, not that it is actually used.

Do your upgrade to 1903.

All should be ok. Report back.

Doc

0 Kudos
MRope1
Beginner

Thank you so much for your help: that appears to have worked and everything to now be working OK!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

So, you were able to get to 1903? Great.

Doc

0 Kudos
MRope1
Beginner

I have: once more, thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Glad it all worked out.

Doc

0 Kudos