Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED iaStorAC.sys After updates and forums and i still get BSOD

GTomb1
Beginner

I have an older Dell XPS that has been a trusty work horse. 

Recently it done some updates last week and seemed fine. Yesterday i started to get BSOD whenever i unplug the power lead.

The error is --

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

iaStorAC.sys

I have followed the forums to try and find a solution and all point to the INTEL RST driver update. I fount the latest driver and updated it.

Still as i unplug the power lead i get the BSOD.

Can someone help, i'm not a PC guru but know enough to generally get me by.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Simple things first. Are you actually using​ RAID or Optane? If not, just uninstall the Intel RST package (it's unnecessary).

...S

0 Kudos
GTomb1
Beginner

I only have 1 hard drive and dont believe i use raid or Optane. I searched for Intel RST and could not find it before i done any updates.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

There should be an entry for it in Apps & Features -- or did you upgrade from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10?

...S

0 Kudos
GTomb1
Beginner

Yes this PC started life as an 8, then to 8.1 then 10.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, this is starting to make sense. You system is probably old enough that the RST support is only through legacy drivers and they are likely not handling something Windows 10'ish.

I need more information about your system to help diagnose this. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and then save the report generated to a text file. Then, using the paperclip icon below the edit window, upload and attach this file to a response post.

...S

GTomb1
Beginner

I really appreciate your help, Thank you

0 Kudos
IaMataSula
Beginner

Hi there Scott, I saw that you had helped someone else with their issues, and I too have been receiving such errors but it's a new laptop, 2020, with no raid configurations, same windows OEM installation.

I have attached the report that you had asked to dissect the problem and also another crash report that I have. if you have any suggestions or help, please let me know, I would be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Are you using RAID? Are you using Optane? If the answer to both questions is No, then uninstall Intel RST. It has no value proposition outside of these two usage models. Once upon a time, it offered improved performance (versus the MS Storage driver), but this is no longer the case.

Hope this helps,

...S

GTomb1
Beginner

I have spent the last 11 hours backing up everything to portable hard drives

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Good. I am not seeing anything obviously wrong in the report. I would have to do some investigation in order to figure out how to hack out the RST content. It would be better - from a whole bunch of perspectives - if you disabled RAID (i.e. set SATA Mode parameter to AHCI in BIOS Setup) and then did a from-scratch reinstall of Windows 10. This won't be the only place where you are carrying bloat from the Windows upgrade processes (I shudder to think what your Registry looks like). [Aside: I think folks should do this once a year; it will usually speed their systems up significantly.]

Somewhere I have scripted instructions for doing this process. I will do some searching for this and repost it here...

...S

GTomb1
Beginner

Hi i have tried to reformat the PC from the windows restore, it  fails to do a total restore( erasing everything) yet it did allow a restore keeping files and some apps.

Still as soon as i unplug i get BSOD. Did you by any chance manage to dig out that how too.

Kind regards

Graham

0 Kudos
GTomb1
Beginner

Excellent, yes i shudder to think how much junk is in my OS. Looking forward to learning something new.

0 Kudos
Ledwardz
Beginner
you aint the only one m8! I am in the exact same boat as you, have been receiving this error for past couple of month on my 2013 dell xps 9530. Hoping you get it resolved.
0 Kudos
snorland
Beginner

Following - I have a Dell XPS 9530 with the exact same problem.  This started just a few weeks ago.

0 Kudos
GTomb1
Beginner
Mine still isnt solved. I was hoping for a solution.
I recently bought a replacement, an XPS 13 9300. My BSOD pc is acting as a bridge between my network hard drive and TV.
If i unplug it i still get BSOD.
0 Kudos
Ledwardz
Beginner
I managed to get rid of mine. Had to burn operating system to a USB then reinstall (completely wipe every).
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Unfortunately, @fillermark, you are talking about a graphics problem when the OP's problem is a BSOD within one of the Intel RST drivers.

...S

0 Kudos