Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1344 Discussions

There are no valid disk pairs in your system

paul_H
Beginner

Hi,
I cant get my Optane Memory to work to boost my 8TB data hard drive.

Optane Module was bought separately.
Runs on a Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 with latest BIOS and IRST 19.5; Win 10

paul_H_3-1671992010303.png

paul_H_2-1671991990803.png

paul_H_1-1671991962972.png

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I was told that I answered this incorrectly; let me rephrase and expand upon my answer:

Intel RST supports only one Optane module being paired with (accelerating) only one SSD/HDD.

AFAIK, the Optane portion of an H10 Optane SSD is intended for and can only be used to accelerate the SSD portion of this same H10 Optane SSD. If you wanted to accelerate a HDD, you would need a M10 Optane Module to do so - and you would need to remove the H10 SSD in order to use this M10 Optane Module.

...S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User
At any point in time, Intel RST can only support one Optane module being used for drive acceleration.
You currently have an Intel H10 drive which combines an Optane module with an NVMe SSD. You cannot install a M10 Optane module to accelerate a HDD while this H10 drive is in the system.
Sorry,
...S
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I was told that I answered this incorrectly; let me rephrase and expand upon my answer:

Intel RST supports only one Optane module being paired with (accelerating) only one SSD/HDD.

AFAIK, the Optane portion of an H10 Optane SSD is intended for and can only be used to accelerate the SSD portion of this same H10 Optane SSD. If you wanted to accelerate a HDD, you would need a M10 Optane Module to do so - and you would need to remove the H10 SSD in order to use this M10 Optane Module.

...S

paul_H
Beginner
Ahh i see. But I have a 12th Gen Intel CPU and the M10 module isn’t supported anymore by that, if I understand that correctly?
So is there any other way to accelerate large HDDs?
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Technically, with the cancellation of Optane, I would consider the H10 SSDs as not being supported either.

When Intel added Optane support, they ripped out the old Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT) SSD-based caching capability that was built into previous versions of Intel RST. My (somewhat facetious) opinion: this was done to hide how little improvement Optane caching actually garnered over SSD-based caching. Admittedly, though, Intel SRT (also) needed to be improved to support NVMe SSDs.

With the cancellation of Optane, Intel offers no (none, zero, nada) capability for HDD acceleration. There are some 3rd-party solutions that offer this capability, but I cannot give any recommendations as I have never used any of them.

Sorry,

...S

0 Kudos
paul_H
Beginner
0 Kudos