Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Why can't I enable Intel Optane Memory on my PC?

MWood4
Beginner

I updated my BIOS and when I open the Intel Optane Memory application to enable it, it gives me this message...

I have all compatible hardware and have RST enabled in BIOS, but I can't figure it out.

The two drives I have is an 250 SSD (which the Intel Optane Memory software is installed in as well as my OS) and a 1TB harddrive that has been partitioned into 2 drives.

There is also Windows 7 installed on one of the partitioned drives of the hard drive. Is having the hard drive partitioned giving it problems in any way?

Thank you in advance for the help.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Woods446,

We understand your situation regarding your Intel® Optane™ Memory that you can not enable it.

In order to better understand your situation, could you please provide the following information:

-Could you please confirm if you are trying to accelerate the SSD? If so, could you please provide the model and also let us know if it is SATA or NVMe?

- https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Download Intel® System Support Utility, run the tool and use it to create and save a report with all sections, then add your reply to this thread and use the Advanced editor options to attach the resulting file to your post.

-Please share the logs from the following location: C:\Users\Yourusername\Intel\Logs

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
MWood4
Beginner

My goal is to accelerate my HDD. My HDD is a Western Digital 1 TB.

0 Kudos
MWood4
Beginner

Part 1 of logs

0 Kudos
MWood4
Beginner

Part 2 of logs

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Woods446,

Thanks for the logs provided. We would like to inform you that you can only accelerate your Windows(R) 10 boot drive, which means that you need to install Windows(R) 10 on your HDD because you mentioned that you are trying to accelerate that one. You can not accelerate secondary drives.

However, if you want to accelerate your current drive, we advise you to disconnect other drives and provide us with a screenshot of the Disk Management.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
ahamm3
Beginner
IS optane memory only able to speed up boot drives?? it cant be used for secondary drives?
0 Kudos
MWood4
Beginner

Apparently it only works for boot drives

0 Kudos
ahamm3
Beginner

that is some bullshit...where does it say that in theyre marketing?

so basically i have no use for this...unless it can speed up a SATA SSD, which from what ive read its kinda pointless.

0 Kudos
MWood4
Beginner

Yea man like I literally installed Windows 10 on my SSD and left my HDD for storage for my games and programs only to find this out. I have $80 worth of hardware in my computer that im not even using right now

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi alham,

In order to answer your question "Is Optane™ Memory only able to speed up boot drives?? it cant be used for secondary drives?", you may refer to the following article:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000024018.html Frequently Asked Questions for Intel® Optane™ Memory - intel.com

Under "Hardware and Software" on the first question, the note refers that secondary drives are not supported for system acceleration.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
ahamm3
Beginner

doe it state anywhere in your marketing or buying pages (i bought mine at amazon) that says anything about secondary drives not being supported?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

alham, I suggest you read https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/intel-optane-memory/000023994.html Before You Buy Intel® Optane™ Memory

Specifically, " Intel Optane memory can only accelerate SATA-based boot drives (SSD, SSHD, HDD). You can use it with 2.5", 3.5", or M.2 form factor drives as long as they're connected with chipset lanes."

As always, and especially for technology such as Optane, it is important to do your homework and research BEFORE you purchase.

Doc

0 Kudos
ahamm3
Beginner

actually i che3cked and it doenst state anywhere on amazon about supporting only boot drives. in fact your marketing is very misleading.

And @al Hill...Nowhere is there a link to "read Before You Buy Intel® Optane™ Memory". or should i have come into the forums and asked a question about a product that so clearly seems would worjk with any SATA drive..

Honestly im just butthurt because i bought a 4TB HD thinking i could speed it up with this... I ended up raiding the two 1TB HD's that i now have spare, but no where near to the pspeeds i would get with optane...I am using Intel rapid storage..so i geuss not all is bad .

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

I do not work for Intel.

"Nowhere is there a link to "read Before You Buy Intel® Optane™ Memory", Well, visiting and researching Intel before you hit the buy button on Amazon would have been the right thing to do.

Sorry, but you could have done some reading and research before you let your excitement push you to hitting the BUY button. Kind of like "I have some waterfront property in Florida to sell".

Doc

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Woods446,

We haven't heard back from you in a while. We would like to know if you were able to accelerate your drive.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
MWood4
Beginner

Ah sorry I didn't get back to you. I no longer require your assistance. Thank you very much for the help though

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Woods446,

We are glad to hear that your situation has been resolved.

If you have further questions or concerns then feel free to contact us again.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos