Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Why won't SetupOptaneMemory.exe install for my Intel Optane Memory M10 Series 64GB to try to accelerate a 3TB HDD when my system happens to have a 900p as my system drive?

JAppl2
Novice

Is having more than one Optane device installed on your computer mutually incompatible even if one of the devices is used only as a system drive, not for cache acceleration?

Please note I have THREE drives. One is a 900p for my SYSTEM. One is a 3TB HDD. The last is a M10 Intel Optane drive to accelerate the 3TB drive. Note I am NOT trying to accelerate the 900p with my M10. The 900p is literally passive and being used as a standard SSD.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JAppl2
Novice

Thanks. Looks like that did the trick. I appears that for version 16.8 they fixed the install issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
RAJU2529
New Contributor III

did you installed optane memory on PCLe slot on motherbaord

0 Kudos
JAppl2
Novice

The 900p is in the pcie slot. The m10 is in a m.2 slot. The 3tb hdd is sata.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel
Hi JAppl2, Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities. The system is detecting the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900p Series as an Optane™ device and that’s why you cannot install the application. You can only have one Optane™ device per system, and it should be connected to the M.2 slot. Even though the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900p Series will work as a regular SSD, the application is recognizing it as another Optane™ Memory device and since it’s connected to the PCIe slot, the application is preventing you to continue until a correct module is detected in the M.2 slot (with no other Optane™ device in the system). My recommendation for you is to use the Intel® RST application instead in order to setup the module. I’m not sure if it will show you the same message, however I recommend you to try it: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28413/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=99745 Let me know how it results. Have a nice day. Regards, Diego V. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JAppl2
Novice

You're correct, the software is detecting the PCIE first and halting installation. Like I said, this seems like a software problem. There should be a selector or something when installing the software to "point" it at the correct product. As it is, the software is too dumb to tease out that there are two products in the computer at the same time. Can this be solved with a simple update to the software so it detects the hardware first and lets you choose which one you want to accelerate? Or allow it to install and then choose after the software is installed?

It seems like a no-brainer.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JAppl2,

I understand what you are saying. This may be fixed by updating the software, however there is no estimated date on when a new version of the software will be released. Besides, as far as I know, this issue has not been reported before.

I will report it to the Engineering Team and see if they have any updates about this.

So far, I don’t’ have any other suggestion or alternative for you.

I will check about this and report back any updates as soon as possible

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JAppl2,

I would like to know if you tried using the Intel® RST application instead just to confirm the issue is still happening with this software too: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28413/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=99745

Please try this and let me know the results. Please share an screenshot too.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel
Hi JAppl2, Did you try using the Intel® RST application as mentioned in my post above? Regards, Diego V. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JAppl2,

If you have any updates about this, feel free to share them here.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JAppl2,

I was able to get an Intel® Optane™ SSD 900p Series and an Intel® Optane™ Memory so I tried to enable the module with a secondary SATA drive and everything worked fine. The application installed without issues and I was able to pair the module with a secondary SATA drive.

The only difference is that I used an Intel® Optane™ Memory 32GB.

My recommendation is to check if you are indeed using the latest version of the Intel® Optane™ Application: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28401/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration-for-Intel-7th-8th-Gen-Platforms.

If you are still getting the same message, please try to connect the SATA drive as the primary drive and just try to setup the module with it (without the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900p Series connected to the system) just to confirm if the issue is related to this SSD or to the module itself.

Drives.JPG

Optane Enabled.JPG

Optane Driver Version.JPG

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JAppl2,

Just wondering if you have any updates about this.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JAppl2,

I just received your message, so let’s continue here as the thread should be open again.

Below is your message:

"Thanks for looking into this. To clarify your post, you were able to install the Optane software while the 900p was running your system drive? Or did you install the system on another SATA drive? "

This is my response:

Yes, I set up the system as follow:

1. The Intel® Optane™ SSD 900p Series working as the primary drive (booting unit).
  2. A secondary SATA drive that I used to pair the Intel® Optane™ Memory (32GB) with.
  3. The Intel® Optane™ Memory 32GB.

Considering this setup, I was able to install the application while the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900p was working as the booting drive. Then, the application allow me to setup the module and to pair it with this other SATA drive that was working as the secondary drive.

From my previous post, my recommendation is to check if you are indeed using the latest version of the Intel® Optane™ Application: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28401/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration-for-Intel-7th-8th-Gen-Platforms.

If you are still getting the same message, please try to connect the SATA drive as the primary drive and just try to setup the module with it (without the Intel® Optane™ SSD 900p Series connected to the system) just to confirm if the issue is related to this SSD or to the module itself.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
JAppl2
Novice

Thank you, I will attempt to use this newer version - it will take a few days while I make the appropriate backups and test it out. I noticed that the driver is no longer available without the update agent. Is it possible to find a direct source of the driver? I'd prefer not to have yet another download agent installed.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JAppl2,

Below are the links to both applications. I hope these are the ones you are asking for:

Once you test it, let me know the results.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V. 

0 Kudos
JAppl2
Novice

Thanks. Looks like that did the trick. I appears that for version 16.8 they fixed the install issue.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Hi JAppl2,

That’s great!

Now the question is if you could setup the Intel® Optane™ Memory with your secondary SATA drive.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
JAppl2
Novice

Seems to be working.

0 Kudos
DiegoV_Intel

Perfect! It’s up and running.

Thank you for the confirmation. 

If you ever have another issue or concern with the Intel® Optane™ Memory, please don’t hesitate to open a new thread. We will try to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
SLv00
Beginner

首先要说明一点的是,傲腾只能优化硬盘速度,不能把机械硬盘改装成固态硬盘,傲腾是英特尔在开发新硬件时候的一次突破性的尝试,但实际上来看傲腾的效率跟价格还是非常高的,偏近于固态硬盘价格方向更多一些。傲腾一般兼容西部数据的硬盘更好一些,其次是希捷硬盘,其他硬盘兼容性都很差劲,所以你遇到的这个问题是很正常的,谢谢

0 Kudos