Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here

drive partition

JTims1
Novice

does the extra partition matter where it is at? windows didnt create one, so i just shrunk the volume and it dont look like all the other photos/manual.  does it matter?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @JTims1.

Thank you for the screenshots and the confirmation of the driver version.

The motherboard mentions having two M.2 ports, have you tried connecting the Optane Memory in the other port or have you already tried both? 

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket2066/WS_X299_SAGE_10G/Manual/E16046_WS_X299_SAGE_10G_UM_V4_WEB.pdf

Some motherboards support Optane acceleration only in one of the ports, check if the option is no longer grayed out if you use the other port.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Yes, it matters.  It goes at the end of the drive, after all other partitions.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JTims1 

As Al wrote, the 5-15MB of unallocated space need to be located in the end of drive boeing accelerated (I assume that in your case it is drive C:).

Since Windows created a Recovery Partition in the C: drive end, just delete this Recovery Partition and extend the C partition, leaving 5-15MB unallocated space in the end. 

Leon

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice

ok i did it, now what? still shows this. 

Optane Not working_6.png

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @JTims1 

You didn't get any information about your system. Even we don't know which drive you want to accelerate.  On the attached images I can't see the Optane memory. Any way you should know that at the end of drive boeing accelerated you need to leave  5-15MB of unallocted space. This drive should have GPT type partition and the SATA mode in BIOS should be "Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System"

Please read the Intel Guide for Optane Installation

Leon

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice

I sent this info on a previous post, that the guy, just passed the buck to ASUS. IT is all here and setup. I know what im dooing, have a few other computers with it working.

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice

heres another ssu, i am useing the optane at the moment, i do know how to clear it, That is not the problem, because it has been cleared the whole time, until right now.

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice

here. i changed it back. still wont work.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hן @JTims1 

1. I assume that you want to accelerate your System Drive C: Samsung SSD 860 PRO 512 GB? Fro the Disk Management image I can see that the partition is set correctly, except that I can't see if the partition of drive C: is GPT type? Is it GPT?

2. Did you set the SATA mode in BIOS to "Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane System" instead of AHCI. If not be careful. You can change the SATA mode only if Windows is set to SAFE boot mode before this change. Otherwise you will corrupt the boot.

Leon

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice
0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice

I sent you a picture of Device Manager, it shows right there under storage controllers.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @JTims1.

I have been reviewing the case details and I would like to know the following

1. Is the primary drive directly connected to the motherboard?

2. When you install the latest RST driver, do you install the version from the Intel downloads page or the one from the motherboard manufacturer's page?

Regards,

Bruce C.

A Contingent worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice
Yes sata 0, and i allways download latest from intel.
0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @JTims1.

Check if installing the latest version from the manufacturer works for you, first make sure to uninstall the current driver along the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management software, then proceed to install the latest version from the ASUS page, which seems to be RST 17.5.0.1017.

After the installation just restart the computer, open the Intel RST software interface and check if you can enable the acceleration.

- Download page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/WS-X299-SAGE-10G/HelpDesk_Download/

Regards,

Bruce C.

A Contingent worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice
0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @JTims1 

Can you provide a screenshot of the error shown in the Intel RST window along with the RST report generated via the "Help" section?

- Help > System report > Save

I would also like to get a picture of your BIOS settings, more specifically from the following sections:

- Advanced > PCH Storage Configuration

- Boot > CSM

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice
heres some pictures.
0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @JTims1.

Thank you for the screenshots.

The BIOS settings seem the same as the ones I have in an X299 I just installed, here I can enable Optane for the primary drive by just clicking the "enable" button.

Regarding the system details, that screenshot shows you are still using the driver 17.9.1.1009, but the latest driver from your motherboard manufacturer should be 17.5.0.1017:

- Downloads page:  https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/WS-X299-SAGE-10G/HelpDesk_Download/

As mentioned before, please make sure you uninstall your current driver along with the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management, then proceed to install the latest version of the Intel RST driver from your motherboard manufacturer.

- Version 17.9 does not have a "graphical user interface" by itself , it requires the installation of the Optane Memory and Storage Management.

- Version 17.5 should have its standalone GUI and it should look like the screenshot I have attached.

If you get the same error, please send me a screenshot along with the system report I mentioned before from the help section.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice

Here

0 Kudos
JTims1
Novice

Enable is Greyed out, I told you it did not work in a previous message. I got 35 years of pc experience. Stop blaming me. 

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @JTims1.

Thank you for the screenshots and the confirmation of the driver version.

The motherboard mentions having two M.2 ports, have you tried connecting the Optane Memory in the other port or have you already tried both? 

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/Socket2066/WS_X299_SAGE_10G/Manual/E16046_WS_X299_SAGE_10G_UM_V4_WEB.pdf

Some motherboards support Optane acceleration only in one of the ports, check if the option is no longer grayed out if you use the other port.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos