Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

optane use for non boot hhd?

SSimm2
Beginner

have asrock z370 killer sli/ac board has 2 ultra pcie, states on box is optane ready, can one pcie have m.2 boot drive, other have https://ark.intel.com/products/99742/Intel-Optane-Memory-Series-32GB-M_2-80mm-PCIe-3_0-20nm-3D-Xpoint Intel Optane Memory Series https://ark.intel.com/products/99742/Intel-Optane-Memory-Series-32GB-M_2-80mm-PCIe-3_0-20nm-3D-Xpoint (32GB, M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0, 20nm, 3D Xpoint), used for a sata seagate non boot secondary 8tb hhd?https://ark.intel.com/products/99742/Intel-Optane-Memory-Series-32GB-M_2-80mm-PCIe-3_0-20nm-3D-Xpoint

0 Kudos
1 Solution
idata
Employee

Hi ssimm1958,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

If I understood you well, you want to accelerate a secondary drive with the Intel® Optane™ Memory, right?

That's possible with the newest Intel® RST driver (16.0.2.3402) and the 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors. You can check the following articles to have more details about the software and hardware requirements in order to use the Intel® Optane™ Memory to accelerate a secondary drive:

I hope you find this information useful.

If there is anything else I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi ssimm1958,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

If I understood you well, you want to accelerate a secondary drive with the Intel® Optane™ Memory, right?

That's possible with the newest Intel® RST driver (16.0.2.3402) and the 8th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors. You can check the following articles to have more details about the software and hardware requirements in order to use the Intel® Optane™ Memory to accelerate a secondary drive:

If there is anything else I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
SSimm2
Beginner

yes you are understanding me correctly, and am using a i7-8700k 8th gen processor

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's great. Then, you have to check if your system have the latest Intel® RST driver. I recommend you to contact your motherboard vendor to confirm if you have the Intel® RST Pre-OS UEFI Driver version 16.02.3402 or later.

Anyhow, I recommend you to check the 2 articles above to verify all the system requirements. If you have the previous Intel® RST driver (15.x) then you would be able to use the Intel® Optane™ Memory to accelerate only the primary drive.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
SSimm2
Beginner

Thankyou am in email contact with my motherboard vendor now, person conversing with, is researching this now. am using latest bios version they have on asrock site v1.60 for my board, but they have not verified yet if this version will support this, am thinking they did not know about this new optane function, they may have to make available a updated bios for this, as not sure yet if v1.60 will support, waiting on reply from them. thank you soooo much for ur super fast reply, will be scanning intel site often now as ran across this by chance

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Perfect. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to come back to the community! We're here to help.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos