Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
431 Discussions

Intel x25-m BSOD when running SSD Toolbox

nmota
Beginner

Hello: I updated SSD toolbox from 1.3 or so to 3.51 and tried running it. It gave me BSOD. I uninstalled and and tried installing 3.50 and ran it. It gave the same error.

SSD toolbox was set to run every week automatically for maintenance but I ran it manually because I found my drive filled with 3GB files with titles like --=={Intel_Trim_File_0}==--.bin. Does anyone know what they are? I am getting a little frustrated and I do not begin to know how to fix this issue. Please help! Thank you.

0 Kudos
19 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

Thanks for contacting our support community. We understand your situation regarding the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox.

In order to better understand your situation, could you please confirm the following information:

*Could you please confirm the operating system you are using?

*How did you perform the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox upgrade? Did you uninstall the old version and installed the latest one? Did you run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27527/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox Intel SSD Toolbox - v3.5.1 without uninstalling the previous version?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
nmota
Beginner

Windows 7.

I believe I installed it without uninstalling the old version initially. Then I uninstalled it (3.51) and reinstalled it (3.51). Still behaved the same. I then uninstalled it and found an old version through a 3rd party (1.30) and it behaves normally..I do not know if it is worth attempting to upgrade again since it was such a hassle.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

Thanks for the information provided.

In order to better identify the root of your issue, could you please provide the following logs:

A-Please provide the Toolbox logs located here:

C:\Users\[your user name]\Intel\Logs

B- Please download the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* and follow the next steps:

1- When finished downloading it, open it.

2- Mark the box "Everything" and then click "Scan.

3- When finish scanning, click "Next."

4- Click on "Save."

5-Attach the file when replying.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
nmota
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

Thanks for the information provided.

Is there a possibility for you to perform a Windows 7* clean installation and let us know if you get the same output?

If so, please share the BSOD code so we can investigate it.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
nmota
Beginner

Unfortunately I cannot do a clean install without disrupting workflows. I may be upgrading to Windows 10 which will be installed from scratch but that is likely a few months away. Any other thoughts?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

Thanks for the reply.

We will further investigate the situation with our additional resources.

We will keep you posted with any updates.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

As per the logs provided, it seems that you are running older versions of .NET and C++.

Please check the Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/solid-state-drives/intel-ssd-toolbox-3x-install-guide.pdf system requirements from section 1.1

You require the following versions:

-Microsoft* .NET Framework version 4.0

-Visual Studio 2015 C++ redistribution page

For Microsoft* .NET Framework click https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/on-windows-7 here

For Visual Studio click https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads here

We recommend you to update the programs and let us know the outcome of the situation.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
nmota
Beginner

Ssorry i was out of town. when i try to install .Net 4.71 it asks if I want to repair the installation. Doesn't that mean I have 4.71 installed already? Also when I follow your link for Visual Studio and select the 2015 C++ package it asks me for my email and then says "Sorry, we couldn't find any downloads for you."

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

Thanks for the reply.

We would like to inform you that those files are usually installed through Windows* updates. We recommend you to contact https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html Microsoft* in order to get assistance with the programs.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

We would like to know if you read our previous post. If you have any other questions, we'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
nmota
Beginner

Thanks for the update, Junior M. But, I frequently run windows update and things should be up to date. I do not know how to check the versions for .Net and visual studio that are installed. If you have any pointers there that would be greatly appreciated.

Nima

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

Thanks for the reply.

In order to verify the -Microsoft* .NET Framework version, we recommend you to check the next article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed How to: Determine which .NET Framework versions are installed - Microsoft.com

Or you can run this command under the command prompt:

dir %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework/AD

In order to check the Visual Studio* version, please follow the next steps:
  1. Click on the Start button to open your Start Menu. The Start button looks like this:

2. When the Start Menu opens click on the Control Panel menu option.

3. When the Control Panel window opens click on the Uninstall a program option under the Programs category. This option is shown by the arrow in the image below. If you are using the Classic View of the Control Panel, then you would double-click on the Programs and Features icon instead.

You will now be at the Programs and Features, so you can check the Visual Studio* version that you have installed.

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
nmota
Beginner

Thanks for the excellent response. I have .Net version 4.0.30319. I do not see visual studios in my list of installed programs. As an aside, shouldn't these dependencies be packaged into the installer? I mean, this is resulting in a critical bug causing a BSOD.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

Thaks for the reply.

We would like to inform you that those are Microsoft* components and they are not included in the Intel® SSD Toolbox.

We recommend you to contact https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html Microsoft* in order to get assistance regarding Visual Studio*.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
nmota
Beginner

The toolbox does not make any mention of installing visual studio. The fact that the Intel toolbox makes no mention that this is a critical dependency is a problem that should be addressed, don't you think? Especially since earlier versions are working without it, ie in my case.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

Thanks for the reply.

Please check the Intel(R) SSD Toolbox system requirements https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/solid-state-drives/intel-ssd-toolbox-3x-install-guide.pdf article, section 1.1.

Visual Studio 2015 C++ redistribution package  The Intel SSD Toolbox installer will install this package; however, there are certain dependencies that it requires to install. These dependencies are resolved by Windows* Updates.

Since you we not able to find the information, we recommend you to contact Microsoft* so they can verify if the software is already installed or not.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi NimaM,

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos