Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

ALTPLL hangs on Ubuntu 18.04

JPrig
Beginner

Hi,

I have installed Quartus 18.1 on Ubuntu 18.04. It starts but when I start MegaWizard for ALTPLL, the wizard hangs after I make one change in the main clock frequency. It consumes 99% of the CPU and no error messages are issued in the terminal window where I start Quartus. I have checked all the software and system requirements in the installation manual, and could not find deviations. Please help!

Regards, Julia

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Hi @JPrig​ 

Sorry for the delayed response. May I know if this happens particularly for ALTPLL only or even for other IPs as well?

0 Kudos
John
Novice

I had this on U16.04.

Happens on other IP as well.

I got round it by dragging the megawizard window bottom right corner so that all the scroll bars disappear. Do it on the first window that pops up before selecting any options, Then it should work.

0 Kudos
JPrig
Beginner

Hi,

This happens for other IPs as well, so for MegaWizard in general.

It did not help to drag the window to the bottom right either.

System logs show that it waits on a file descriptor 6 and never gets a reply.

0 Kudos
VVavr
Beginner

@JPrig,

Actually suggestion was

"dragging the megawizard window bottom right corner"

but you wrote

"did not help to drag the window to the bottom right"

do you see the difference?

0 Kudos
mfro
New Contributor I

This is probably a problem with Ubuntu's X display - it doesn't happen with Debian, for example.

Here is the workaround I found:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyTYHSA2/megawizard-with-lpmmux-runs-extremely-slowly-and-is-unusable?language=en_US

0 Kudos
JPrig
Beginner

Thanks a lot!!

Starting Quartus through ssh helped.

0 Kudos