Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16557 Discussions

Attempting to simulate AXI3 Master BFM in Qsys system. "Library mgc_axi_master_10611 not found."

JHert3
Beginner

I'm trying to use the "Mentor Graphics AXI3 Master BFM (Intel FPGA Edition)" IP Core in a simulation. I have used Qsys to generate a VHDL simulation model for the system. Then I am trying to use Modelsim to simulate the system. I am have created a mentor.do script as instructed, and then I run this script in Modelsim. The script proceeds until the "com" command (which should compile the Quartus-generated IP simulation files), at which point it fails with an error saying "Library mgc_axi_master_10611 not found."

This library is called by the Quartus generated BFM entity. I can't find any information whatsoever about what this library is, why it can't be found, how to solve the error, etc. If anyone can provide any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Kenny_Tan
Hi, Can you attached your design.zip files for us to look into it? Can you try the design example shown in https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/design-examples/design-software/qsys/exm-hps-axi-bfm.html Thanks, Kenny Tan
0 Kudos
JHert3
Beginner

Hi Kenny

Thanks for your response. Apologies for the delay, a technical issue prevented me from accessing the forum. My design files are attached.

The same error occurs when I try to run the design example you have provided. I am using Quartus Prime Pro 18.1, but simulating with ModelSim-Altera for Quartus II 14.1 as I'm waiting for a license for a ModelSim-IntelFPGA. Is this a likely cause of the issue?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Can you try the modelsim starter edition? https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/downloads/download-center.html

If you are using Q18.1 you need to simulate with the modelsim that support Q18.1.

Modelsim starter edition require no license, the example should work because I had try it in the older version and with Modelsim starter edition.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
is there any update?
0 Kudos
JHert3
Beginner

Hi Kenny

I have tried now with an appropriate version of Modelsim. For any HDL files generated by Platform Designer, I still find that mgc_axi_master_10611 is not found, but with the design example you provided, I was able to get further through the compilation. The transcript is attached.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
0 Kudos
JHert3
Beginner

I had already launched modelsim with the -mvchome path, as directed by the intructions on the design example's web page. I tried again, producing the same errors as last time for the design example and my own design. Error vsim-8388 does not appear in the transcript that I attached previously.

The design example we page states a requirement for Quartus Prime 13.1 - is it possible that the DLLs required are no longer included in Quartus Prim 18.1?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

May I know what error that you are seeing right now? As you mention Error vsim-8388 does not appear anymore.

Yes, usually, we would recommend to use the design example base on Quartus specified and move on from there.

0 Kudos
JHert3
Beginner

The errors are shown in the transcript file above. It is mostly many repeated instances similar to the following:

# ** Error: (vsim-3193) Load of "C:/intelFPGA_pro/18.1/ip/altera/mentor_vip_ae/common/questa_mvc_core/win32_gcc-4.2.1/libaxi_IN_SystemVerilog_MTI_full.dll" failed: DLL dependent library not found.

# ** Error: (vsim-8649) Initialization function 'axi_IN_SystemVerilog_load' not found.

This is very strange because C:/intelFPGA_pro/18.1/ip/altera/mentor_vip_ae/common/questa_mvc_core/win32_gcc-4.2.1/libaxi_IN_SystemVerilog_MTI_full.dll does exist on the machine. Modelsim is just unable to load it for some reason.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Can you check your licence.dat file whether you have include this license? It should included if you have the subscription edition of license.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/products/intellectual-property/design/ip-base-suite.html

0 Kudos
JHert3
Beginner

I am currently on a 60-day evaluation license, so that may explain the problem. I am due to be getting a subscription license in a few weeks, so I will wait until then and provide an update.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan
So, you got your license?
0 Kudos