Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
14957 Discussions

Avalon Verification IP Suite questions

Elit
New Contributor I

Hi.

I modified the avlmm_1x1_verilog_pro project from ug_avalon_verification.zip, adding Avalon-MM Monitor. 

According to Avalon Verification IP Suite User Guide, p.12:

The monitor components use the SystemVerilog Assertion (SVA) language and are
supported only by simulators that support SVA, including:
• ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition
• Synopsys VCS
• Mentor Graphics® Questa.

However, when using Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition 19.4 Pro it issues messages like these:

** Warning: ip/avlm_avls_1x1/avlm_avls_1x1_mm_monitor_0/altera_avalon_mm_monitor_191/sim/altera_avalon_mm_monitor_assertion.sv(1097): (vlog-2186) SystemVerilog testbench feature
# (randomization, coverage or assertion) detected in the design.
# These features are only supported in Questasim.

Also I had to comment out altera_avalon_mm_monitor_coverage instantiation in altera_avalon_mm_monitor  module, to execute the run_simulation.tcl script without errors:

** Error: (vsim-1) Unable to checkout verification license - testbench generation feature (randomize, randcase, randsequence, covergroup) is only supported with QuestaSim.
Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Instance: .tb File: tb.sv
Error loading design
Error: Error loading design

Questions:

1. So, does Modelsim Intel FPGA Edition really support System Verilog Assertion?
  2. Is it possible to get a verification license and if not, how to avoid errors without changing files?

Thanks,

Elit

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SyafieqS_Intel

Hi Eliyahu,

--- Is it possible to get a verification license and if not, how to avoid errors without changing files?---

Yes it is possible to get the license file and you can contact Mentor for that. Commenting out "altera_avalon_mm_monitor_coverage module" would result in following as you said

Error: (vsim-1) Unable to checkout verification license - testbench generation feature (randomize, randcase, randsequence, covergroup) is only supported with QuestaSim. 

Therefore, I guess the only way to proceed with this to use Questasim

Thanks,

Regards 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SyafieqS_Intel

Hi Eliyahu,

Modelsim-Intel FPGA does not support for SVA. You can refer to KDB below. I will file a report for this as the document might be missing the updated information. You can request a Questasim license from Mentor since it is from Mentor. 

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base...

https://www.mentor.com/products/fv/questa/

Regards,

Syafieq

Elit
New Contributor I

Thank you, Syafiq.

But I didn't get an answer to my second question : 

how to avoid Modelsim Intel FPGA edition errors without change altera_avalon_mm_monitor.sv file -

comment out instantiation of altera_avalon_mm_monitor_coverage module? 

Thanks,

Elit

SyafieqS_Intel

Hi Eliyahu,

--- Is it possible to get a verification license and if not, how to avoid errors without changing files?---

Yes it is possible to get the license file and you can contact Mentor for that. Commenting out "altera_avalon_mm_monitor_coverage module" would result in following as you said

Error: (vsim-1) Unable to checkout verification license - testbench generation feature (randomize, randcase, randsequence, covergroup) is only supported with QuestaSim. 

Therefore, I guess the only way to proceed with this to use Questasim

Thanks,

Regards 

View solution in original post