Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16716 Discussions

CLK-30028 - Invalid Generated Clock

OrF
Employee

Hi

I'm trying to define generated clock out of the pll.

and I get the following violation notification "CLK-30028: Invalid Generated Clock"

https://www.intel.la/content/www/xl/es/programmable/quartushelp/current/index.htm#da_rules/clk_30028.htm

since I'm sure the source clock and the target are coming to and out of the pll ( I don't get an error notification about the pin location )

my guess is that the issue is that " I need specify clock latency between clock and target."

I see the PLL IP sdc is loaded , any way I can debug it and understand what is the root cause ? 

I'm not using derive_pll_clocks command (and I dont want to use it ) 

Severity:		High
Number of violations: 	1
Rule Parameters:      	max_violations = 5000
+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
; CLK-30028 - Invalid Generated Clock                                                                                                                                                                        ;
+---------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------+
; Clock   ; Target                                                                             ; Reason                                                                                             ; Waived ;
+---------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+--------+
; pll_clk ; step_ana_pll_i|iopll_0|stratix10_altera_iopll_i|s10_iopll.fourteennm_pll|outclk[0] ; No paths exist between the clock target and its clock source.  Assuming zero source clock latency. ;        ;

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What is your target device and why do you not want to use derive_pll_clocks (which is applied automatically in recent devices anyway)?

Does your clock report show the PLL output clock(s) correctly and what you expect?

0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

1.My Target device is Stratix 10M .

2. Yes the Clocks are correct . in the report.

3. the reason I'm not using since I'm using derive_pll_clocks   Synplify Premier for the synthesis stage . 

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
A pll clock is no generated clock, thus the error.
0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

As far as I see , and know output clock of pll is a generated clock.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683068/18-1/creating-generated-clocks-create-generated.html

"You apply generated clocks most commonly on the outputs of PLLs"

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683068/18-1/deriving-pll-clocks.html

"The Derive PLL Clocks (derive_pll_clocks) constraint automatically creates clocks for each output of any PLL in your design. derive_pll_clocks detects your current PLL settings and automatically creates generated clocks on the outputs of every PLL by calling the create_generated_clock command."

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I'm not sure why the Design Assistant is calling this out, but since you're using a 3rd-party tool, you should issue a write_sdc command (or choose the option in the Timing Analyzer) to write out a full .sdc file for use by the other tool that will include the correct create_generated_clock constraints.

Other than that, if your timing analysis is accurate and you are closing timing, I'd ignore the DA.

0 Kudos
OrF
Employee

the 3rd-party tool is for the Synthesis Part not for the P&R and timing closure . therefore I dont see the point to provide the sdc to the 3rd-party tool , even though I did generated the sdc, and looking at it I didn't find any additional constraints . 

this issues DOES effect the timing calculation since it doesn't take into account the the timing delay from the input of the pll to the output of the pll. 

0 Kudos