Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16602 Discussions

Can Avalon-MM Slave BFM Intel FPGA IP be used to implement a memory block?

gyuunyuu
New Contributor II

In a memory block, reading the same address, shall give the same data value. Can this be implemented using the Avalon-MM Slave BFM Intel FPGA IP for verification purpose?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gyuunyuu
New Contributor II

The "Avalon Verification IP Suite: User Guide" mentions a memory_mode on page 47:

"Response Generator and Data Cache— In memory_mode the Slave BFM models a single port RAM. A write operation stores the data in an associative array and generates no response. A read operation fetches data from the array and drives it on the response side of the Avalon interface. This mode simplifies loopback testing. "

However, there is absolutely nothing with this name anywhere outside this document. I have done a search of the .sv file of the BFM. I have not found anything there. Is this some sort of mistake?

0 Kudos
gyuunyuu
New Contributor II

There is also this function called set_response_timeout which has been left inside the altera_avalon_mm_slave_bfm.sv but does absolutely nothing. Why is this so?

0 Kudos
EricMunYew_C_Intel

The Avalon-MM Slave BFM is a bridge and cannot be used to implement memory block.

0 Kudos
ThomasTessier
New Contributor I

Did anyone write an example using the APIs to create the simple Memory Read and Memory Write Device using the avalon_mm_slave_bfm?  There is a lot of power in the API but I could see just doing basic command response and command processing to build such a function.  I would find it preferred over rolling my own and the avalon_mm_slave_bfm already has all the hooks and checks for proper operation on the Avalon Bus.

I think a lot of us could use an example like this?

TomT...

0 Kudos