Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Can I write, compile and simulate VHDL code by using only modelSim?

TarikTec
New Contributor I

I just started learning using Quartus Prime Standard and I find it taking too much time each time I want to modify the VHDL code in Quartus ,then compile then simulate using the modelSim.

is there a possibility of Using only in the development phase the ModelSim while I can modify the TestBench and the Source code on the same window?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Unless you're doing a gate-level simulation that requires device timing delays, you don't need to compile in Quartus at all before running a simulation in ModelSim.  Quartus can generate simulation scripts for you (for compiling in Modelsim, setting up the waveform view, etc.), but you don't even need to do that.

At a minimum, you might want to run Analysis & Elaboration in Quartus to verify syntax and connectivity, but other than that, you don't need to compile any further before simulating.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Unless you're doing a gate-level simulation that requires device timing delays, you don't need to compile in Quartus at all before running a simulation in ModelSim.  Quartus can generate simulation scripts for you (for compiling in Modelsim, setting up the waveform view, etc.), but you don't even need to do that.

At a minimum, you might want to run Analysis & Elaboration in Quartus to verify syntax and connectivity, but other than that, you don't need to compile any further before simulating.

Kenny_Tan

you may take a look on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2KDwNN5-yw as well.

Kenny_Tan

any further queries?

TarikTec
New Contributor I

No further queries from this question(I will post in another thread the other quation). thank you

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

we shall close this thread. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome to post a response within 15days or open a new thread, some one will be right with you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos