Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16596 Discussions

Configuring Arria V using MAX II and flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everyone,  

I am trying to configure Arria V using Max ii CPLD and on board flash using PFL IP. 

My question is 

1) when I try to generate the pof file for the CPLD, it asks me for the configuring device, but I cannot find the configuring device as EPM1270 in the drop down list.  

How do I get around this? 

2) AN478 says, instantiate the PFL megafunction and make pin assignments. What am I supposed to do in this? 

Thank you in advance. 

RSK007
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

AN478 discusses using a parallel FLASH device in AP (Active Parallel) programming mode - without a CPLD. In this programming method the target FPGA generates the control signals for the parallel FLASH device that's connected directly to it. 

If you want to program an FPGA using a CPLD to control the FLASH memory then you need to use FPP (Fast Passive Parallel) mode, for which you will not need the PFL IP. 

Refer to the relevant section on page 8-15 of the 'arria v device handbook (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/arria-v/av_5v2.pdf)'. You will need to generate a raw binary file or similar (not a .pof) to program into your parallel FLASH. 

Cheers, 

Alex
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

AN478 discusses using a parallel FLASH device in AP (Active Parallel) programming mode - without a CPLD. In this programming method the target FPGA generates the control signals for the parallel FLASH device that's connected directly to it. 

If you want to program an FPGA using a CPLD to control the FLASH memory then you need to use FPP (Fast Passive Parallel) mode, for which you will not need the PFL IP. 

Refer to the relevant section on page 8-15 of the 'arria v device handbook (https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/arria-v/av_5v2.pdf)'. You will need to generate a raw binary file or similar (not a .pof) to program into your parallel FLASH. 

Cheers, 

Alex 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you very much for your reply Alex. This document clarifies a lot of things.
0 Kudos