Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Connecting an Avalon MM master with a 32 bit address width.

skon
Novice

Hello,

I want to connect an Avalon MM master with a 32 bit address width to 2 slaves that also have a 32 bit address bus each.

Obviously, a straight connection is impossible...because of the overlapping addresses...so an intermediate QSYS interconnect component will have to be used to de-multiplex the master into the 2 slaves.

What QSYS interconnect component does that ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I'm not sure what you mean by the overlapping addresses unless you are saying these 2 slave components both use the entire 32-bit address space so you can't just connect them to the master. In any event, use a pipeline bridge to do what you mention.

skon
Novice

How would using a Pipelined Bridge help?

Yes, the addresses of both slaves are completely overlapping .

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You say they are overlapping, but I asked if they are using the *entire* 32-bit address space. You can set different base addresses for the two components if their spans will not overlap.

If so, now that I think about it, you don't need a pipeline bridge. PD supports 64 bit addressing, so just add one more bit to the address control on your master. If you can't do this, check out the address span extender IP.

Tricky
New Contributor II

Assuming each slave is attached at different address ranges from the Master side, then you need an Avalon MM Crossbar to separate the slave address spaces into two distinct master busses.

skon
Novice

sstrell,

The spans do overlap.

You suggest using an "address span extender IP" while Tricky suggest an Avalon MM Crossbar.

Are both the same component ?

The reason I'm asking is because I couldn't find the Crossbar in the Qsys catalog...

0 Kudos