Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16599 Discussions

Constraining problems to read external data with an Altera Cyclone V GT FPGA

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all, 

I am currently working on an VHDL Code and timing constraints, but I have some issues to read serial data from an ADC correctly on a FPGA board. 

Short version: 

My data pins are DA and DB, which are source synchronous edge aligned to DCO clock from the ADC. The data on DA and DB are updated by every edge of it clock source, but I can not obtain them correctly, due to wrong or incomplete timing constraints. I use set_input_delay function to delay the data to DCO to gather them safely, but this does not work properly and I do not know how to fix it. I wrote my SDC file on my own, based on a SDC file of a demoboard which uses the same ADC, and I also tried the TimeQuest Timing Analyzer. 

Long version + system description: 

My setup is an Altera FPGA board Cyclone V GT, the ADC LTC2385-18bit on an PCB and I use the HSMC connector. 

The FPGA board generates a 5MHz LVDS signal to the CNV pin of the ADC, which starts the conversion cycle. The ADC has two LVDS output pins DA and DB and can operate serially on onelane mode (only DA pin is used, DB is not used) or in twolane mode (DA pin and DB pin are used). After minimum 104 ns data is ready to be shifted out by applying a burst of 9 clock pulses on onelane mode or 5 clock pulses on twolane mode to the CLK input. The CLK has a frequency of 125 MHz and is generated from a PLL, CLK is controlled with an AND-Gate and a self-written enable function. 

Data on DA and DB are updated by every edge of CLK and are synchronous and edge aligned to DCO, an echoed version of CLK, which can be used to latch DA and DB in the FPGA. It can also generate a testpattern and I try to read it correctly, at onelane mode it is 10 1000 0001 1111 1100 and at twolane mode it is 11 0011 0000 1111 1100. 

My input signals (CNV and CLK) work properly and I can verify all output signals of the ADC with an oscilloscope. My VHDL code to read the data on every edge of DCO is correct and is independent from all other signals and functions. I used the receive code from an demoboard, which uses the same ADC, and changed it from Verilog to VHDL.  

The Problem now is to obtain the data correctly. I used the SDC code from the Demoboard and changed it, but this did not work. Then I tried to generate my own SDC file with the TimeQuest Timing Analyzer Quick Start Tutorial. This works better but my data is still not correct, and it generates many constrains, because of other components I need but which are unknown to me. Now I have deleted these other constrains to look at their effect, but I receive the same data. 

My best results, after lots of changing, are one wrong bit on onelane mode (10 1000 0000 1111 1100 instead of 10 1000 0001 1111 1100) and three wrong bits on twolane mode (11 0011 0100 0011 1100 instead of 11 0011 0000 1111 1100), but these results are inconsistent. 

Thanks in Advance. 

This is my current SDC file: 

set_time_format -unit ns -decimal_places 3# #################################### for 100MHz ref clock set period_refclk 10# #################################### for 125MHz AVMM clock set period_mgmt 8# ################################### create_clock -name {refclk} -period $period_refclk create_clock -name {mgmt_clk} -period $period_mgmt # #################################### the measured time HSMC CLK port to HSMC DCO port is 1.8ns# ################################### create_generated_clock -name DCO -source -edges {1 2 3} -edge_shift {2 2 2} # #################################### Input delay# ################################### set_input_delay -clock {DCO} -clock_fall -rise -min 0.8 set_input_delay -clock {DCO} -clock_fall -rise -max 1.2 set_input_delay -clock {DCO} -clock_fall -fall -min 0.8 set_input_delay -clock {DCO} -clock_fall -fall -max 1.2 set_input_delay -clock {DCO} -clock_fall -rise -min 0.8 set_input_delay -clock {DCO} -clock_fall -rise -max 1.2 set_input_delay -clock {DCO} -clock_fall -fall -min 0.8 set_input_delay -clock {DCO} -clock_fall -fall -max 1.2 # #################################### Set_false_path# ################################### set_false_path -from -to set_false_path -from -to .gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk}] derive_pll_clocks derive_clock_uncertainty
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all, 

some time has passed now but nobody has answered my questions so far. Are there any problems of understanding concerning my formulations or is it simply the problem itself? 

I do have some more questions concerning my problem as well: 

Is it correct that the set_input_delay function delays the target signal to the source signal with the delay time? 

And add a later set_input_delay function with -add_delay additional delay time to my existing delay function? 

I am trying to delay the edges of my source signal to a stable level of my data signal. 

I would be very happy, if somebody could please answer my questions, I am working on my Bachelor thesis and these timing constraints are posing a huge problem to my project. 

Thanks in advance, 

altera_hawx
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

--- Quote Start ---  

Is it correct that the set_input_delay function delays the target signal to the source signal with the delay time? 

--- Quote End ---  

NO, with set_input_delay you are describing external delays on input data. Your assumption that you are delaying signal with set_input_delay is wrong.  

--- Quote Start ---  

The data on DA and DB are updated by every edge 

--- Quote End ---  

You are saying that data is updated by every edge but in set_input_delay you only using -clock_fall option. 

--- Quote Start ---  

The CLK has a frequency of 125 MHz and is generated from a PLL, CLK is controlled with an AND-Gate and a self-written enable function. 

--- Quote End ---  

Do you use some logic gates in your clk path?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Ok, then I had misinterpreted the set_input_delay function. How can I delay my DCO by 1 ns? I cannot use a PLL to phase shift my DCO, because it is not continuously.  

I had used an AND-gate with a clock and a clock enable signal to get 9 clock pulses, but I replaced the AND-gate with an ALTDDIO_OUT IP Core, which does the same but my enable code is much shorter. 

I found the file Timing Analysis of Internally Generated Clocks in Timequest v2.0 in this Thread https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2250 and tried the instructions on pp.13-16, but I cannot use -master_clock because Quartus cannot compile my System and the error message says 'use a larger device'. Without the -master_clock I am able to do a compilation but I still cannot read my Data correctly.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I just found this thread and wondered if you solved the problem of aligning the DCO clock to the center of DA,DB ? 

I have the same issue now and am considering a pll solution based on 1 pll o/p driving the data clocking and a second o/p clocking the DDR. 

Cheers, S.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I just found this thread and wondered if you solved the problem of aligning the DCO clock to the center of DA,DB ? 

I have the same issue now and am considering a pll solution based on 1 pll o/p driving the data clocking and a second o/p clocking the DDR. 

Cheers, S. 

--- Quote End ---  

Actually, it looks like the answer is here http://www.alterawiki.com/uploads/e/ea/source_synchronous_timing.pdf on Page 47.
0 Kudos