Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15479 Discussions

Converting a BDF diagram to HDL for simulation in Quartus Prime Pro >= v20.4

pnp
Novice

I have a legacy .bdf in my design that I need to simulate. In Quartus II, I could do this with File | Create/Update | Create HDL Design File for current file.  In Quartus Prime Pro 20.4, this option is disabled with the .bdf open as the current file:

bdf.png

Is there another way to generate an HDL file from a .bdf with the current tools? 

Quartus Prime Pro 20.4 is able to synthesize this .bdf.

Thanks,

Paul

1 Solution
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @pnp 

Unfortunately, Quartus Pro does not support this feature a few years ago. 

The current workaround is to convert it in Quartus Standard Edition and add the HDL files back to Quartus Pro. 

It is a bit tedious and I am sorry if it cause any inconvenience. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @pnp 

Unfortunately, Quartus Pro does not support this feature a few years ago. 

The current workaround is to convert it in Quartus Standard Edition and add the HDL files back to Quartus Pro. 

It is a bit tedious and I am sorry if it cause any inconvenience. 

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to give Kudos. 

pnp
Novice

Richard,

Thanks for confirming that. I will keep this in mind--it gives me even more motivation to rewrite these old modules in SystemVerilog

I was able to get to the cause of my issue through the use of SignalTap instead of the simulator, which I posted here. It looks like that bus reversal may be a bug in the software. 

Regards,

Paul

RichardTanSY_Intel

Hi @pnp 

Thank for confirming the answer that I have provided previously. I believe another agent will look into your other case and they will help to address your question soon. 

With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Richard Tan

pnp
Novice

Thanks, Richard. I appreciate your help with that.

Paul