Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16682 Discussions

Current module quartus_fit was unexpectedly terminated by signal 9

matferronato
Beginner

Hello,

I found some other topics discussing this issue, but couldn't find an answer to my problem.

Currently, my design consumes most of the a available logic in the FPGA.

When I try to run the fitter, quartus will stop place and route in different stages showing the error

"Current module quartus_fit was unexpectedly terminated by signal 9"

This happens during different steps of the fitter, sometimes during Placement, sometimes during Routing, and sometimes (very infrequently ) it won't  happen at all. Each step is taking around 30min, so every time it fails it costs me greatly.

Is there a way to dig deeper in the logs and find why this is happening? I understand it is either because it quartus fir performed illegal operation or because the system resources have been exhausted. But i'd like to go deeper and understand which resources... (maybe I need more memory?), or which illegal operation caused this issue.

Is that possible?

My current environment is:

CPU : 11th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-11850H 

Memory : 31GB

Target FPGA: AGFB014R24B2E2V

Quartus Version : 22.4

Thanks for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
6 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Agilex 7?  If it's a large design, you may want more RAM there (like 64).  You could also try reinstalling Quartus or update to the latest 23.4.

0 Kudos
matferronato
Beginner

Hi sstrell.

Indeed an Agilex device. It seems that the computers resources are being exhausted.

resources.jpg

Does intel provide any info on the minimum specs required to correctly synthesize a design to a target architecture?

I can understand why the lack of memory had me consistently fail place and route, what I don't get is why sometimes it worked.

Does anyone know a possible workaround? (besides upgrade memory/cpu)

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
SyafieqS
Employee

May I know if there is any update from previous reply?

0 Kudos
SyafieqS
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to https://supporttickets.intel.com/, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution, give Kudos and rate 5/5 survey

0 Kudos
matferronato
Beginner

Thanks for your help.

Updating my machine memory should do the trick

0 Kudos