Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16603 Discussions

Does anyone run Quartus on CentOS?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi - I've been running Quartus on CentOS since 2005, but I recently ran into an issue and was told tersely by support that CentOS is not supported, and no effort will be given to doing so. That was a surprise to me - is this a recent thing? Did Intel buy stock in RedHat :-). I can cough up the $349 for a RHEL license, but really? Is that what everyone does now? 

Thanks! 

/j
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Jeff, 

I suspect that there are too many distributions of Linux to support them all. That said, I use Quartus on Ubuntu with only the odd driver configuration issue. 

Best wishes, 

J
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello 

I am running Quartus 17.1 lite on Ubuntu 16.04. 

Only issue I have is that NIOS II EDS / Eclipse does not run. Is there anyone who successfully runs NIOS II EDS on Ubuntu 16.04 or Centos 7?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi - I've been running Quartus on CentOS since 2005, but I recently ran into an issue and was told tersely by support that CentOS is not supported, and no effort will be given to doing so. That was a surprise to me - is this a recent thing? Did Intel buy stock in RedHat :-). I can cough up the $349 for a RHEL license, but really? Is that what everyone does now? 

Thanks! 

/j 

--- Quote End ---  

I have been using Quartus, Modelsim and the Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL on CentOS 6 and 7 for quite some time now and haven't had any OS-related issues. What you are describing sounds more like the support trying to get rid of you with the least amount of effort, rather than providing a real explanation or solution. If you are having a driver-related issue that Intel claims works on RHEL, but does not work on CentOS, then it is a problem for CetOS's developers to fix. In any other case, it is very unlikely that the small differences between RHEL and CentOS would cause issues, and whatever issue you are having likely also exists on RHEL. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Only issue I have is that NIOS II EDS / Eclipse does not run. Is there anyone who successfully runs NIOS II EDS on Ubuntu 16.04 or Centos 7? 

--- Quote End ---  

As per Altera's official OS requirements, Nios II EDS is not supported on either of those OSes. It is only supported on CentOS/RHEL 6.x and some versions of Windows: 

http://dl.altera.com/requirements/17.1/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Irvk1, my name is Richard and I am trying to run Quartus 17.1 on Ubuntu 16.04; I am a beginner in the area of linux systems and for weeks now I have been trying to have the Quartus programmer see my connected DE10-Standard board; I have followed many many websites with instructions on the udev rules etcetera but unfortunately no luck; assuming that the programmer in Quartus does recognise your hardware, can you please help me a bit further? Thank you very much in advance for your support! Best regards, Richard

0 Kudos