Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16611 Discussions

Emulation of "asiam_option" example appears hangs

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

​Hi, 

I want to learn how to write an application composed of multiple kernels communicated through channels. 

For that purpose, I am using the "asian_option" example downloaded from: 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/design-examples/design-software/opencl/black-scholes.html 

This is the compiler version: 

>>aocl version aocl 16.1.0.196 (Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 16.1.0 Build 196, Copyright (C) 2016 Intel Corporation)  

This is how I compiled the very original code (both host and device) 

>>make >>aoc -march=emulator -v --board a10gx device/asian_option.cl -o bin/asian_option.aocx  

Emulation: 

>>CL_CONTEXT_EMULATOR_DEVICE_ALTERA=1 ./host Querying platform for info: ========================== CL_PLATFORM_NAME = Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM) CL_PLATFORM_VENDOR = Altera Corporation CL_PLATFORM_VERSION = OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 16.1 Programming Device(s) Using AOCX: asian_option.aocx Starting Computations  

Here is where NO OUTPUT appears. Checking the corresponding htop output for the emulation, I saw three processes utilizing almost 100% of CPU, and one process using almost 300% of CPU.  

Using gdb, I discovered the program hangs on an specific API call: 

main.cpp: 337, inside get_result(): 

double get_result(int device_id) {# if USE_SVM_API == 0 // Read back the single result from the kernel status = clEnqueueReadBuffer(accumulate_queue, kernel_result, CL_TRUE, 0, sizeof(cl_double), &X, 0, NULL, NULL); ...  

Commenting that part, let the emulation complete, but obviously the "Resulting Price" value is wrong: 

CL_CONTEXT_EMULATOR_DEVICE_ALTERA=1 ./host Querying platform for info: ========================== CL_PLATFORM_NAME = Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM) CL_PLATFORM_VENDOR = Altera Corporation CL_PLATFORM_VERSION = OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 16.1 Programming Device(s) Using AOCX: asian_option.aocx Starting Computations DEVICE 0: r=0.08 sigma=0.30 T=1.0 S0=30.0 K=29.0 : Resulting Price is 0.000000 1 Devices ran a total of 2.09715e+11 Simulations Throughput = 275295.56 Billion Simulations / second  

I do not understand the reason of this. The ran before the "hello_world" example without problems. But I am always facing hanging-related problem when using designs composed of multiple kernels and channels. 

Could anyone please give some tips to solve this? 

​Regards, 

Leo 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The emulator is extremely slow (it is an emulator after all). In reality it might not be stuck at all and still computing the output. Try changing the input settings to lower values to see if you get any output.

0 Kudos