Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15539 Discussions

Enabling Quartus II 12.0 SP2 64 bit version (Web Edition) w/ Windows 10 64 bit OS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have installed quartus ii 12.0 sp2 web edition. I am running Windows 10 64 bit Pro OS. 

From what I understand, I need to compile the vhd files in Quartus II in 64 bit mode to properly operate my EP2C35F672C6 board of the Cyclone II family. However, when 

I installed Quartus II, I only have the option to run it in 32 bit mode.  

At school, I have the option of both 32 and 64 bit modes when I search for it after pressing the windows key. My  

instructor has told me to only use 64 bit mode to avoid issues when implementing my hardware. 

Is there a way to go about installing or enabling 64 bit mode?  

I was never given the option to download either 32/64. It was a single package, so I assumed that it would come with both. 

Also, I intend on installing the free edition of ModelSim 10.0d. Will I encounter a similar issue? 

I have not been able to find ample information on this specific topic elsewhere. I would greatly appreciate any feedback as I would love to be able to work on my projects at home. 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far as I recall, 32 or 64 bit has no affect on the programming file(s) generated to implement a design in hardware. I'm not sure what your instructor is thinking here. Modelsim will not be an issue either.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your response. I am not 100% sure either. I am interested to find out the details in their claim/thinking on this one. I will probably experiment firsthand, then ask them to explain in detail. I will update this thread when I learn of the results and response of my instructor.  

Perhaps they were referring to the 32 bit software not including the 64 bit JTAG libraries?