Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15475 Discussions

Error: Can't assign node "<name_pll>" to any location (ID: 176359)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anybody came across this error? After hours of searching, I can't find anything on this. 

I only get this error when I try to drive 8 or more register from one of the ALTPLL output. 

Error: Can't assign node "name_altpll:auto_generated|wire_pll1_clk[0]" to any location (ID: 176359)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Can post some part of your code? 

I have tried to drive 8 registers and it was without any error. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My apologies, I meant 14 registers or more. I'm trying to drive 14 register with clk27M. Here is a snippet of the code with 4 registers; there are 14 registers using this clk in total. 

PLL PLL(.inclk(clk50M), .c0(clkA), .c1(clkB), .c2(clkC), .c3(clkD), .locked(pll_lock)); 

reg [7:0] a = '0; 

always @ (posedge clkA) 

a = (some conditional statement) ? a + 1 : 0; 

reg[31:0][7:0] b = '0; 

always @ (posedge clkA)  

b[a[7:0]] = (some conditional statement) ? data : b[a[7:0]]; 

Thank you
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My apologies, I meant 14 or more registers. I'm trying to drive 14 registers from the output of the ALTPLL with 27M and input of 50M.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

My apologies, I meant 14 or more registers. I'm trying to drive 14 registers from the output of the ALTPLL with 27M and input of 50M. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, 

Which device you are using? 

We can drive 14 or more registers, which depends on Number of LE available on device (FPGA) 

Do check the code again. 

i have tried to reproduce the error but it was successful compilation Check the image. 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14651&stc=1  

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm currently using the MAX10; the model I used have one PLL. Please see attachment. 

If I comment out any one of the 14 reg I created and compile, I have a successful compilation. It only gives me an error when I leave all 14 reg in.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Check the following link which may help you on the error. 

http://quartushelp.altera.com/14.1/mergedprojects/msgs/msgs/efitcc_fitcc_type_of_atom_location_assig... 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I didn't modify the .qsf file manually so I don't think this applies to my current error.