Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16597 Discussions

Error to add HEX file in Convert Program File tool

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to generate EPCS64 .pof file with a .sof and two .hex file. But when i add any hex file error comes "Data in HEX file overlaps between data blocks at address 8 and address 0 ". 

Please help...
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Piyushm, 

Due to a problem in the Quartus® II software version 11.0 SP1 and earlier, you may see this message in the Convert Programming File window when adding a Hexadecimal (Intel-Format) File (.hex) to your list of input files to convert. This error occurs when your .hex file uses word addressing instead of byte addressing. The Convert Programming File utility only accepts .hex files using byte addressing. 

1. Open the Quartus II Options dialog box by selecting options from the Tools menu. 

2. Select the category memory editor

3. Turn off the option read or write hexadecimal files (.hex) using byte addressing (intel format)

4. Open your word address format .hex file in the Quartus II Memory Editor. 

5. Return to the Quartus II Options dialog box and turn the option back on. 

6. In the Quartus II Memory Editor, use save as on the File menu to save your .hex file under a new name using byte addressing. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation) 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you sir for your quick reply. 

I am using Quartus 16.1 Prime Edition & unable to find Memory Editor in tool menu. 

Actually i have a Qsys in which two NIOS-II CPUs with their Independent memory (OCRAM) (No shared memory). 

when i generate hex file by using mem_init_generate utility & generate final .pof file by adding this hex file in setting menu, i found that some time cpus are not initialize correctly & pause execution. Also not able to Debug. 

So i thought there may be issue to add hex file, that's why i would like to check by adding sof with hex file using Convert File Utility. 

Please give any suggestion.... 

waiting for your reply.... 

Thanks, 

Piyush Mahajan
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Piyush Mahajan, 

Add your Hex file in project directory (Should be visible in files window)  

1. Go to file ->Memory Files->Hex Decimal(Intel Format) File->select ->Ok 

2.Number of words and word size Tab will open ->Let it be default values dont change any values. 

3.New hex file will be opened in your  

4. go to tools->options->Memory Editor->Uncheck the option Read or write Hexadecimal Files (.hex) using byte addressing (Intel format)->Ok 

5.Open you hex file one after the other by double clicking it (from project navigator->files)->hex file word size tab will be opened ->click ok 

6.Again go to tools->options->Memory Editor->check the option Read or write Hexadecimal Files (.hex) using byte addressing (Intel format)->Ok 

7. do same for another hex file from step -3. 

Now generate the .pof file. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Piyush Mahajan, 

Add your Hex file in project directory (Should be visible in files window)  

1. Go to file ->Memory Files->Hex Decimal(Intel Format) File->select ->Ok 

2.Number of words and word size Tab will open ->Let it be default values dont change any values. 

3.New hex file will be opened in your  

4. go to tools->options->Memory Editor->Uncheck the option Read or write Hexadecimal Files (.hex) using byte addressing (Intel format)->Ok 

5.Open you hex file one after the other by double clicking it (from project navigator->files)->hex file word size tab will be opened ->click ok 

6.Again go to tools->options->Memory Editor->check the option Read or write Hexadecimal Files (.hex) using byte addressing (Intel format)->Ok 

7. do same for another hex file from step -3. 

Now generate the .pof file. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

0 Kudos
giomate
Beginner

HEX_File_Unrecognized.pngI have this similar error at converting to .pof files actually , i had load and unload many times the .hex file and check and uncheck the "Read" even more. But it is still comming out the same error "Data in HEX File overlaps between data blocks at address 8 and address 0"

Im ussing Quartus Prime Version 20.1.0 Build 711 06/05/2020 SJ lite Edition,

I really appreciate any comment or suggestion

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Sir, 

I have Quartus Prime 16.1 standard Edition. 

I found "Read or Write Hexadecimal(.hex) Files using byte addressing" in Setting-> Compiler Process Settings-> More settings. 

I tried with all three settings, on, off & use global setting, but still the same problem. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Piyush Mahajan, 

Can you check with same steps mentioned above. 

Best Regards, 

Anand Raj Shankar 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Sir !!! 

Problem Solved
0 Kudos