Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

FPGA Download Cable Driver Not working

Dde_B
Beginner

Hi All,

So yesterday both of my old Altera Blaster programmers were found to no longer work. They work on an older machine no problem. 

• Device Manager reports code 39 that there is a problem with the driver.
  • research suggested this is a driver signing issue so I followed instructions to boot with driver signing disabled still not working.
  • I then booted up into Safe mode, installed driver by pointing to the relevant folder in the IntelFPGA directory. This time no yellow triangle. Driver works and is installed.
  • Boot back into Windows normally, little yellow triangle is back in device manager and it no longer works.
  • Thinking it may be a clash with other drivers on my machine (last chance saloon now), I re-installed windows. Still not working.

This has happened only very recently, like in the last couple of months at the longest as I was using it March/April with no issues.

I am using v18.1 of Quartus because of the stupid NIOS bugs in later version that prevent the NIOS EDS tools working properly. And I have even tried using an older version of the drivers from the installing v16.1 of the standalone programmer.

Can anybody offer a solution please I am desperate right now, I have a hugely important project to work on and nothing I try is working.

I used to trust Altera stuff, it seems the tools are getting flakier and the support is falling away. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I would recommend you to download Quartus 21.1 version of standalone Programmer in order to get the latest driver which will fixed the issue.

You may I also refer to https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/tools/2021/why-does-the-intel--fpga-download-cables-drivers-installation-fa.html for more information

deBoogle
Beginner

Thank you so much this worked a treat. At first, I didn't think it had, then I tried again and the driver went in.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Glad to be able to help.

0 Kudos