Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16661 Discussions

Forcing signal for Analyze & Compile at partition boundary

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does anyone know if it is possible to 'force' a signal to 0 on a lower level design partition boundary for synthesis? 

The normal way would be to just change the RTL code, possibly with an `ifdef, but this is in external IP that I've been asked not to touch! 

More specifically, the partitioned section has an input 'gscanenable' which ends up xnor'd with a clock and used on a couple of registers. 

But even though gscanenable is tied to 1'b0 at the top level above this partition the optimizer can't see that the signal is always 0 and adds the xnor resulting in hold time errors. (It is otherwise fine as the clock is otherwise undisturbed.) 

It would be extremely useful to have a line in the *.qsf file that forces the node to 0.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Add a level of hierarchy that just instantiates the IP, passes all signals through as normal, but puts '0' in that pin. (An assignment would be easier, but that's the recommended way)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Rysc, 

Thanks for the speedy reply! Yes, this is what I'm doing above the top level partition. (Similar to the solution of inserting a dummy PLL to get the clocking right shown in the Quartus manual.) 

Unfortunately as this is at a lower level of the design (the FPU) and I would have to insert this passthrough module as a sort of 'shim' between the instantiating and sub-partition IP. It would certainly work, but I'd still end up changing the code (if only the instantiation). 

As I think that code modification is inevitable I will probably do: 

`if FPGA `define CPU_SCANENABLE 1'b0 `else `define CPU_SCANENABLE scanenable `endifin the header file and substitute scanenable in the RTL for `cpu_scanenable  

If there is a 'new feature' list for Quartus, this would be a useful addition as I know I've bumped into similar issues before (on a competing synthesis tool!) 

Regards, 

++Simon
0 Kudos