Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

Get warnings when constraining Clock and Generated clocks

PDone
New Contributor I

am trying to build the following.clock circuits. Although it works, I am not able to get the constraints to work:

Basically I have a 20 MHz input clock. This generates an 80 MHz clock which in turn is used to generate a 320MHz. The 80 MHz clock is used elsewhere in the design. There are other clocks derived, but I basically I hope that if I can get theese two to work, I can figure out the others.

clock : clock_src
port map(locked => reset_n,
outclk_0 => clk_80mhz,
outclk_1 => clk_75mhz,
outclk_2 => clk_80mhz_shift,
refclk => FPGA_MASTER_CLK,
rst => L0);
h_pll : highlands_pll
port map (locked => open,
outclk_0 => clk320_mhz,
outclk_1 => clk25_6mhz,
refclk => clk_80mhz,
rst => reset);

Both pll's are Integer mode
I set the following constraints :

create_clock -name {FPGA_MASTER_CLK} -period 50.000 -waveform { 0.000 25.000 } [get_ports {FPGA_MASTER_CLK}]

create_generated_clock -name {clk_80mhz} -source [get_ports {FPGA_MASTER_CLK}] -multiply_by 4 -master_clock {FPGA_MASTER_CLK} [get_pins {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|outclk_wire[0]~CLKENA0|outclk}]
create_generated_clock -name {clk320_mhz} -source [get_pins {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|refclkin}] -multiply_by 4 -master_clock {clk_80mhz} [get_pins {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|outclk_wire[0]~CLKENA0|outclk}]

When I compile I get the following message:
Warning (332056): PLL cross checking found inconsistent PLL clock settings:
Warning (332056): Node: clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0] was found missing 1 generated clock that corresponds to a base clock with a period of: 50.000
Warning (332056): Node: h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0] was found missing 1 generated clock that corresponds to a base clock with a period of: 12.500

What am I doing wrong?

I am using Quartus standard for cyclone V

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The warnings seem to indicate that the targets of your create_generated_clock commands are incorrect.  Did you use the Name Finder (accessed from the timing constraint GUI dialog boxes) to search for the correct targets for get_pins?

The easiest thing to do would be to simply remove the create_generated_clock constraints and use derive_pll_clocks.

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The warning is on the PLL's internal VCO, which we don't constraint. There is no impact on the output clock.

Best is to apply use following two constraints:

1) create_clock -name {FPGA_MASTER_CLK} -period 50.000 -waveform { 0.000 25.000 } [get_ports {FPGA_MASTER_CLK}]

2) derive_pll_clocks

The constraint derive_pll_clocks automatically derives the PLL output clocks based on the settings made in the IP. This helps user to get rid of the create_generated_clock constraints on the PLL outputs.

After applying derive_pll_clocks constraint, check the Fitter report. You will find below info:

Info (332111): Found 8 clocks

Info (332111):  Period  Clock Name

Info (332111): ======== ============

Info (332111):  0.833 clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]

Info (332111):  12.500 clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk

Info (332111):  13.333 clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[1].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk

Info (332111):  12.500 clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[2].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk

Info (332111):  50.000 FPGA_MASTER_CLK

Info (332111):  1.562 h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]

Info (332111):  3.125 h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk

Info (332111):  39.062 h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[1].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk

Note in the above, the tool automatically identified the clocks which it was complaining about.

More details on derive_pll_clocks can be found in Intel Quartus Prime Standard Edition User Guide: Timing Analyzer https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/ony1529966370740.html#mwh1412203472219

Regards.

0 Kudos
PDone
New Contributor I

I used the GUI to create the clocks. So yes, I did use the name finder.

I used use derive_pll_clocks and got the following:

create_generated_clock -name {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]} -source [get_pins {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|refclkin}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 32 -divide_by 2 -master_clock {FPGA_MASTER_CLK} [get_pins {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]}]
create_generated_clock -name {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk} -source [get_pins {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|vco0ph[0]}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 1 -divide_by 4 -master_clock {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]} [get_pins {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk}]
create_generated_clock -name {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[2].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk} -source [get_pins {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[2].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|vco0ph[0]}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 1 -divide_by 4 -phase 90/1 -master_clock {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]} [get_pins {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[2].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk}]
create_generated_clock -name {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]} -source [get_pins {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|refclkin}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 16 -divide_by 2 -master_clock {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk} [get_pins {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]}]
create_generated_clock -name {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk} -source [get_pins {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|vco0ph[0]}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 1 -divide_by 2 -master_clock {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]} [get_pins {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk}]
create_generated_clock -name {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[1].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk} -source [get_pins {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[1].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|vco0ph[0]}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 1 -divide_by 25 -master_clock {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]} [get_pins {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[1].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk}]

The clocks output by clock_src are:
outclk_0 = clk_80mhz 
outclk_1 = clk_75mhz
outclk_2 = clk_80mhz_shift
of which clk_80mhz is used as both a clock and the reference clock for highlands_pll
clk_75mhz is not connected to anything in this design
clk_80mhz_shift is a 90 degree shift of clk_80mhz which is not 8used as a clock in the FPGA but is output to clock other ICs.

The clocks outputs of highlands_pll are:
outclk_0 = clk320_mhz
outclk_1 = clk25_6mhz
where both clk320_mhz and clk25_6mhz are used as clock  in the FPGA

how do these clock names correspond to  names in the derived clocks?

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Map them this way:

clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]  --> Internal VCO of clock_src 

clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk --> outclk_0 of clock_src

clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[2].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk --> outclk_2 of clock_src

h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]  --> Internal VCO of highlands_pll

h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk --> outclk_0 of highlands_pll

h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[1].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|divclk --> outclk_1 of highlands_pll

Now substitute in constraint:

create_generated_clock -name {Internal VCO of clock_src} -source [get_pins {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|refclkin}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 32 -divide_by 2 -master_clock {FPGA_MASTER_CLK} [get_pins {Internal VCO of clock_src}]

This is (20*32)/2 = 320 MHz (internal)

create_generated_clock -name {outclk_0 of clock_src} -source [get_pins {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|vco0ph[0]}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 1 -divide_by 4 -master_clock {Internal VCO of clock_src} [get_pins {outclk_0 of clock_src}]

This is (320*1)/4 = 80 MHz

create_generated_clock -name {outclk_2 of clock_src} -source [get_pins {clock|clock_src_inst|altera_pll_i|general[2].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|vco0ph[0]}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 1 -divide_by 4 -phase 90/1 -master_clock {Internal VCO of clock_src} [get_pins {outclk_2 of clock_src}]

This is (320*1)/4 = 80 MHz with 90 degree phase shift

create_generated_clock -name {Internal VCO of highlands_pll} -source [get_pins {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|refclkin}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 16 -divide_by 2 -master_clock {outclk_0 of clock_src} [get_pins {Internal VCO of highlands_pll}]

This is (80*16)/2 = 640 MHz (internal)

create_generated_clock -name {outclk_0 of highlands_pll} -source [get_pins {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|vco0ph[0]}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 1 -divide_by 2 -master_clock {Internal VCO of highlands_pll} [get_pins {outclk_0 of highlands_pll}]

This is (640*1)/2 = 320 MHz

create_generated_clock -name {outclk_1 of highlands_pll} -source [get_pins {h_pll|highlands_pll_inst|altera_pll_i|general[1].gpll~PLL_OUTPUT_COUNTER|vco0ph[0]}] -duty_cycle 50/1 -multiply_by 1 -divide_by 25 -master_clock {Internal VCO of highlands_pll} [get_pins {outclk_1 of highlands_pll}]

This is (640*1)/25 = 25.6 MHz

Regards.

0 Kudos