Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16595 Discussions

Glitch Filtering Power Estimation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm trying to predict the power consumption of my VHDL design using PowerPlay Analizer in Quartus Prime SE. For that I'm doing the gate level simulation with Modelsim-Altera 10.5b with the option 'generate VCD file' turned on. My problem is that there is no difference in the estimated current consumption of the design when I modify the 'Enable glitch filtering' option under 'EDA Tool settings>Simulation'. Anyone knows what may be the cause for this? Fyi, the 'Perform glitch filtering on VCD files' under 'PowerPlay Power Analizer Settings' does modify the estimated current value. 

Edit: I forgot to mention that the design is intended for a Cyclone V device which may be the cause of the issue, since gate-level timing simulation is no longer supported for this devices. From the 'Quartus Prime SE Handbook vol 3: Verification' document: 

"note: gate-level timing simulation of an entire design can be slow and should be avoided. gate-level timing simulation is supported only for the stratix iv and cyclone iv device families. use timequest static timing analysis rather than gate-level timing simulation." 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't timing simulation the way to bring up glitches? I have also found another thread that supports this conclusion (see posts# 9 and# 10): http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36762 

Regards, 

Federico
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It may not be entirely clear from my previous post, but I would really appreciate an answer. Even if it's a "there's nothing to be done" answer. 

Regards, 

Federico
0 Kudos