Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
15469 Discussions

How do I check the delay of a combinational design?

PEgan
Novice

For a project I have built a complex multiplier which performs 37x37 signed multiplication using the cyclone IV's built in 18x18 multipliers. I have also added additional adders and logic which may make the delay longer than my clock cycle using the 50MHz clock. I have skimmed over the Timing Analyzer software briefly but do not know if this is overkill for what I'm trying to test. Ideally, I just want a simple solution to see the delay to perform a full complex calculation using my IP.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Timing analysis with the Timing Analyzer is a hugely important aspect of FPGA design, so it's a good idea to become familiar with the process and the tool. For all designs, you should create at least a basic .sdc (timing constraints) file that defines the clocks in your design and your I/O timing requirements. With that, you can then run the tool to see if your design will meet the requirements.

There's a lot to take in on this, and it can seem overwhelming, but I recommend starting with this timing analysis training that walks through the basics of the tool and .sdc files:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/training/course/odsw1115.html

#iwork4intel