Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
14947 Discussions

How do I make modelsim fwrite/dump an 8 bit array literally in binary.

BrianHG
New Contributor I

I'm having trouble finding the right way to dump a memory array from my System Verilog testbench into a file.  This is as close as I can get, but, it has 2 problems.

Anytime I try to write character 8'h00, it gets replaced with character 8'h20.

Anytime I try to write character 8'h0A, 2 characters come out, first 8'h0D, then 8'h0A.

Code:

integer fout_pointer;

fout_pointer= $fopen("test_file.bin","w");

for (int i=0;i<256;i++)  $fwrite(fout_pointer,"%s",8'(i)) ;

$fclose(fout_pointer);

This code is supposed to generate a file where if I analyze it with a hex editor, it should go from 8'h00 the 8'hFF.  But, the 8'h00 position has an 8'h20 and the 8'h0A position has a 8'h0D, then the 8'h0A comes next.

Or, if I made an array:

logic [7:0] array_table [0:255] = '{8'h00, 8'h01, 8'h03, ..... };

Is there a way to binary dump/write that array into a file.  And I do not mean an ascii file with binary or hex values in it.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrianHG
New Contributor I

Hello SyafieqS, thank you for your reply, but, your link does not cover any binary writing of data.  It is ok as I fround out how and finally got my testbench SystemVerilog .bmp picture saver working.

Source example located here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/fpga/systemverilog-example-testbench-which-saves-a-bmp-picture-and-exe...

Instruction are located in the first post in that thread.

The relevant code is in the source file 'ellipse_generator_tb.sv' line 203, opening the file for write as a 'wb' for write binary.  And when $fwrite data, the two possible in quotes methods are "%c" for a single character, or "%u" for writing a 32bit word located on lines 215, 218 & 225.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
SyafieqS_Intel

Hi Brian,

I found refence related to read and write to file using SV and few examples that might be helpful. Please refer to link below for details

https://www.chipverify.com/systemverilog/systemverilog-file-io#:~:text=A%20file%20can%20be%20opened,....

Thanks,

Regards

BrianHG
New Contributor I

Hello SyafieqS, thank you for your reply, but, your link does not cover any binary writing of data.  It is ok as I fround out how and finally got my testbench SystemVerilog .bmp picture saver working.

Source example located here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/fpga/systemverilog-example-testbench-which-saves-a-bmp-picture-and-exe...

Instruction are located in the first post in that thread.

The relevant code is in the source file 'ellipse_generator_tb.sv' line 203, opening the file for write as a 'wb' for write binary.  And when $fwrite data, the two possible in quotes methods are "%c" for a single character, or "%u" for writing a 32bit word located on lines 215, 218 & 225.

View solution in original post