Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

How do i actually edit a schematic logic symbol ???

OldMarty
Beginner

Hi All,

As the tile says "How do i actually edit a schematic logic symbol ??? "

Here's an example, lets say i have an 8 input AND gate on my schematic layout, and i want to make a new symbol from it, to become a 10 input AND gate.

While it seems obvious to right-click and edit the symbol diagram (adding pins etc), that seems ok, but HOW do i then tell the symbol what the boolean function of the 2 new pins are? otherwise they'll do nothing at all.

Thank you

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

What you can do is use an 8-input AND gate and 2-input AND gate and use the outputs of both gates as inputs for a 2-input AND gate in one bdf file. After saving this bdf file go to File->Create/Update->Create Symbol Files for Current File

Then you have successfully created a new symbol. You can find this symbol in the symbol libraries under "Project".

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
OldMarty
Beginner

Hi Nurina,

Thanks, what i did was wire 2x "or8" gates into a "or2", making a 16 input or gate.
It took me a while to realise i had to add in/out pins to the gates and label them etc. (because my first symbol was an empty box).

Then i discovered after creating the symbol file that i also had to create a verilog file too. (i learned this from somebody's online school project).

Are there intel links to this information please?

0 Kudos
OldMarty
Beginner

Hi again,

I also noticed that i can only use primitive devices to make my own symbol files. If i use simple and,or,not gates it works, but if i decide to include any of the 74xx chips into the symbol design then there are errors and it wont compile.

Is there a way to use the 74xx chips in my symbol file?, or is there a way to view the internal primitives of the 74xx chip to let me cut & paste into my own design file?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Since you're a beginner, I'm sure you need to find definitions to gauge what you're dealing with. I suggest using the built-in help tool on your Quartus software.

This online training provides the foundation of designing projects on Quartus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=bwoyQ_RnaiA&ab_channel=IntelFPGA

This online training provides an overview of Quartus Standard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=Ah6XQUHTumo&ab_channel=IntelFPGA

You can also refer to this user guide: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-qps-getting-started.pdf?wapkw=quartus%20standard%20user%20guide

With regards to the 74xx chip error, can you expand on how you did this? You added the 74xx chip into the bdf file, then creating a bsf file, then you got the error? Or did you have to compile the design first?

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
OldMarty
Beginner

Hi Nurina,

Just to clarify, i'm not exactly a beginner to CPLD/FPGA as i've been using Altera Max+ II since 1990's.

My problem these days is that the Intel prime documents/guides don't seem to have a lot of "how to" content in them. The guides basically show me how to open a file or how to access the text or block editor etc, but the guides never really go into depth about how to use the functions correctly.

When i use the built-in help system (or download user guides), i often search for something like 'wire' or 'bus' and i see no results. So, i'm really puzzled how do people learn exactly how to use the features correctly.

Thge youtube videos aren't much better than the PDF's, they mention all the things that Prime can do, but they don't go into exact detail how to do simple things like placing wires and buses or all of the possibilities and settings for those functions.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

I understand your frustration. I will report this to our internal team so we can improve our documentation and help system. 

I shall put this case to a close pending. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Regards,
Nurina

PS: If you find any comment from the community or Intel Support to be helpful, feel free to give Kudos.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee
0 Kudos