Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16556 Discussions

How to make communication between computer and Quartus using Python?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I am very new to this tool Altera Quartus, but i need to build the design that i need to give command from the coumputer to PC through Python. So, my question is how to build the design in Altera Quartus.  

If any example design, please share me. It will be helpful for me or please guide me to build this design.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

If you have the Quartus executable file in your PATH, you can simply do the command : 

os.system('quartus_sh --flow compile <quartus_project_name>.qpf') 

You must generate your project with quartus UI a first time to have the <quartus_project_name>.qpf file. 

Regards, 

Jerome
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

If you have the Quartus executable file in your PATH, you can simply do the command : 

os.system('quartus_sh --flow compile <quartus_project_name>.qpf') 

You must generate your project with quartus UI a first time to have the <quartus_project_name>.qpf file. 

Regards, 

Jerome 

--- Quote End ---  

I don`t have any file. Just i am going to build the design with Ethernet concept.  

MY design flow as follows 

1. Going to give command from computer through Python 

2. Quartus should receive that command and should generate the signal (using Cyclone V FPGA). 

How to build in Quartus ? Whether i need to use Qsys or NIOS Processor ? Please explain me with steps. :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How to build - where to start - This is a question i was asking a few months ago. If you register you can access a fantastic number of documents, videos, trainings, and PowerPoint presentations to get you up and running with the whole thing. 

There are more than one software program to run, at each step, but they are all linked. 

1) Quartus Prime (Lite , Standard , or Pro - depending on your needs, from basic design to most complex), 2) Platform Designer (formerly Qsys), 3) Pin Planner, 4) Programmer, NIOS2. 

Search for each by name. For example, the NIOS docs are essential for those coming in as C programmers, but is rarely mentioned in non NIOS specific documents. Once you know the acronyms to search things begin to fall in place.  

There is a presentation called 'Creating a System Design with Platform Designer: Getting Started' that should get up and running, just search for that title.  

There is also a 'Training' video called 'Become an FPGA Designer in 4 Hours' that was helpful to get picture.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From how I read your question you want to generate signals, and you think you can send something like generate_sinewave to quartus, which will than use an fpga to generate this. If you think this, you'll need to change your ideas. You first need to write code which describes what the FPGA should do. This is than compiled by quartus and can be loaded into the FPGA. In your case you'll need to write code that listens to input from a computer and, based on that command, generate some output signal. I suggest using a uart for the input, since it is a relatively easy protocol and there are plenty of examples and open-source cores for that.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

In your case you'll need to write code that listens to input from a computer and, based on that command, generate some output signal. I suggest using a uart for the input, since it is a relatively easy protocol and there are plenty of examples and open-source cores for that. 

--- Quote End ---  

If you dont mind can you share the Example design link for UART ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you dont mind can you share the Example design link for UART ? 

--- Quote End ---  

There are many such designs on the internet, You should try using google to look through a few.
0 Kudos