Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16741 Discussions

How to make sure clocks are in phase?

Chris039
Novice

Hi,

I have two clock sources, both with 100Mhz. How to make sure that the clock are in phase?

Data from register A with clock A to register B with clock B. 

Do I need to set any SDC or Quartus tool will take care of it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Best way is to source both clocks from the same PLL.  You don't say where these clocks are coming from.  Feed one into a PLL and then create two mirrored outputs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Best way is to source both clocks from the same PLL.  You don't say where these clocks are coming from.  Feed one into a PLL and then create two mirrored outputs.

0 Kudos
Chris039
Novice

If they they cannot be feed into one PLL , is it possible to align two clock source with same frequency ?

I have another question, I have one pair coreclkout with 125Mhz and one input clock source with 100Mhz , how do I constrain the sdc, the latch clk 100Mhz could latch the data  a few cycle later. 

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

create_clock constraint on the 100 MHz input, created_generated_clock on the 125MHz clock.  I'm not sure what you mean about latching data a few cycles later.  That isn't part of defining the timing constraints for clocks.

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Does the above comment help?

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Chris039
Novice

The clka and clkb cannot be generated from the PLL. Is it possible to align through sdc constraint so that they are in phase? 

Chris039_0-1669021635308.png

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

Are these clocks coming from 2 different sources outside the FPGA?

You could use set_clock_latency if you know what is the additional delay: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683243/21-3/set-clock-latency-set-clock-latency.html

If the clocks are sourced from the FPGA, I don't think you can use sdc constraints, you would need them to come from the same source. As mentioned in the above comment, best way is to source both clocks with a PLL.

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos
Nurina
Employee

Hi,

We do not receive any response from you on the previous answer provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution, give Kudos and rate 4/5 survey

Regards,

Nurina

0 Kudos