Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16606 Discussions

How to make vhdl testbench for mux 4 to 1 and inputs are 4bits and output is 4bit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

I have problem to make vhdl testbench for mux4/1 witch have 4bit inputs I0 I1 I2 I3 and 4bit output mux_out and select inputs are KO and K1. 

REMARK: 

I0 : in std_logic_vector (3 downto 0) 

I1: in std_logic_vector (3 downto 0) 

I2: in std_logic_vector (3 downto 0) 

I3: in std_logic_vector (3 downto 0) 

mux_out : out std_logic_vector (3 downto 0) 

KO,K1: in std_logic 

So, behind the multiplexer I have four components witch outputs are also 4bit and each 4bit output from component goes to one 4bit input of the multiplexer. 

So, I can not put value of inputs multiplexer in test bench because I have to bring only outputs from components witch are already defined with their functions. 

I hope that you understand me.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I dont understand. 

Please post some code.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I dont understand. 

Please post some code. 

--- Quote End ---  

I think the post means that they want to test part of the design(the mux). 

so if that is the case either test the mux alone as a separate module with its i/o interface exposed out, or just use full design and temporarily disconnect drive on mux inputs and drive them in the testbench
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

THIS IS MULTIPLEXER 4/1 

library IEEE; 

use IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.ALL; 

entity multiplexer_four_one is 

port ( 

I0 : in std_logic_vector (3 downto 0); 

I1 : in std_logic_vector (3 downto 0); 

I2 : in std_logic_vector (3 downto 0); 

I3 : in std_logic_vector (3 downto 0); 

sel :in std_logic_vector (1 downto 0); 

mux_out : out std_logic_vector (3 downto 0) 

); 

end multiplexer_four_one; 

architecture Behavioral of multiplexer_four_one is 

begin 

process(I0,I1,I2,I3,sel) 

begin 

case sel is 

when "00" => mux_out <= I0; 

when "01" => mux_out <= I1; 

when "10" => mux_out <= I2; 

when "11" => mux_out <= I3; 

end case; 

end process; 

end Behavioral; 

I need to make 4bit ALU with adder/substract and others components which I will give in text. 

SO , I first make 4bit adder/sub with 4bit inputs A and B(that inputs goes also on other inputs components,so its 4bit) like the first component, then the second component is 4bit xor gate with 4bit input/output, the third component is 4bit shift_left  

The fourth component is inverter . This four component work some operations. SO after that I have to make ALU unit with multiplexer which will allow some of this components operation  

on the outputs of multiplexer Inputs of multiplexer ( I0 I1 I2 I 3 ) are connected with outputs of components.The each input of multiplexer should be connected with 4bit outputs of components. Then inputs of multiplexer must bi 4bit !!!!!!! 

So that, select inputs of MUX which is sel in code will allow for example for sel="00" then shift left on the output 4bit signal 

Thus, I have problem to make test bench for that ALU respectively multiplexer because hi is indeed ALU. OK?  

I do not understand how to give time signal for simulation mux (ALU) in test bench. 

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW???
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for help! 

I resolved the problem!!!
0 Kudos